Pahiram ng Sandali
|Pahiram ng Sandali|
|Also known as||Chasing Moments|
|Created by||Aloy Adlawan|
|Directed by||Maryo J. de los Reyes|
|Creative director(s)||Jun Lana|
|Opening theme||"Mga Nakaw na Sandali" by Jaya & Jay R|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Original language(s)||Filipino, Tagalog, English|
|No. of episodes||80|
|Executive producer(s)||Nieva M. Sabit|
Calatagan, Batangas, Philippines
|Camera setup||Multiple-camera setup|
|Running time||30-45 minutes|
|Production company(s)||GMA Entertainment TV|
|Original network||GMA Network|
|Picture format||480i NTSC|
|Original release||November 26, 2012– March 15, 2013|
Pahiram ng Sandali or Chasing Moments (international title) is a Filipino drama series created by Suzette Doctolero, developed by Aloy Adlawan and produced by GMA Network. It premiered on November 26, 2012 replacing Coffee Prince on GMA Telebabad block and November 27, 2012 worldwide via GMA Pinoy TV. It banners Dingdong Dantes, Lorna Tolentino, Christopher de Leon, Max Collins and Alessandra De Rossi as the five main characters. The series is under the direction of Maryo J. delos Reyes.
The series ended on March 15, 2013 and replaced by Mundo Mo'y Akin on its timeslot. The series ran for 16 weeks with 80 episodes overall.
On December 29, 2015 the series will re-air on its sister International affiliate GMA LIFE TV
Alex and Cindy find love and inspiration in each other’s arms. However, the young couple parted ways when Cindy left to study abroad. She promised to come back for Alex. Though devastated, the latter continues his life and begins to pursue his dreams.
Through hard work and diligence, Alex fulfilled his longtime dream of becoming a photo journalist. Here he crosses paths with Janice, an older woman, works as an editor-in-chief in one of the famous tabloids in the country.
Janice manages her career with flying colours but such a failure when it comes to family matters [she craves for her husband’s love and attention and battles to win her only daughter’s affection]. On the other hand, Alex, being an unwanted child decided to carry out his vengeance plans against his biological father by becoming extremely successful. These two lonely souls finds solace in each other, and despite their age gap and social differences, prove that anyone can be bound in friendship. But their special friendship grows into an unlikely romance. Things get more complicated when Alex learns that Janice is Cindy’s mother!
Cast and characters
- Janice Alvaro-Reyes – the female protagonist, played by Lorna Tolentino. Janice is a media executive and the editor-in-chief of "Pinoy Reporter"—one of the popular tabloids in the country. She is hurt by her husband's lack of interest and is flattered by a young man's sincere interest and affection.
- Alex Santiago – the series' male protagonist, portrayed by Dingdong Dantes. Alex works as a photo journalist in "Pinoy Reporter", a tabloid owns and runs by his biological father, Larry Gomez. Alex is man driven by his desire to care for his mother and to prove his worth to his father. He falls in love with Janice Alvaro, an older woman, whose love realigns his goals in life.
- Philip Reyes † – played by Christopher de Leon, Janice's husband; a famous lawyer [though he owed everything he has to his wife]. His ego drives him to commits the greatest mistakes of his life and indulges an illicit affair with a much younger woman, Baby Umali, which gains the wrath of his only daughter, Cindy.
- Cindy Reyes – portrayed by Max Collins. She is the only daughter of Philip and Janice Reyes. Cindy is an independent and adventurous woman who falls for Alex Santiago and later finds herself entangled in a love triangle with her mom.
- Baby Umali – series' main antagonist, played by Alessandra De Rossi. She is a cunning and ambitious lady, moonlighting as a lounge singer in a hotel. Here she meets Philip Reyes, which she finds as a "good catch". She became his mistress and vows to do everything to keep him in her life.
- Larry Gomez – portrayed by Mark Gil †. Larry runs "The Philippine Examiner", considered as the most respected and influential news paper in the country and the sister-newspaper of "Pinoy Reporter". He is Alex Santiago's biological father who abandoned him several years ago.
- Thea Santiago – portrayed by Sandy Andolong; Alex and Franz's loving and protective mother. She spends her life as a destitute mother whose only dream is to raise her children the best way she can.
- Franz dela Cruz – portrayed by Kristofer Martin; Alex Santiago's half-brother; Thea's son with Berting dela Cruz. Grew up as a rebellious son and envies his older brother because of the love and attention that Thea’s been exerting to him.
- Diana Gomez – played by Isabel Rivas. Diana is the spouse of Larry and mother to Andrew. She is also the woman who was instrumental in catapulting Larry to his present stature [her family owned a huge publishing house which is now runs by Larry]. Diana loves her husband to a passion and would go to any length just to keep him.
- Andrew Gomez – portrayed by Neil Ryan Sese; the one and only son and heir of Larry and Diana Gomez. As arrogant as his father, Andrew grew happy-go-lucky and enjoys his family's wealth without the responsibilities. He falls in love with his childhood sweetheart, Cindy and will be entangled in a love triangle with his half-brother, Alex Santiago.
- Romer Alcaraz – played by Roy Alvarez; a veteran hard news reporter and columnist of the tabloid, "Pinoy Reporter". He meets Alex Santiago and become his protégé. A man of full of values, he teaches Alex to "value and appreciate every single moment because everything is just borrowed".
- Trining Alvaro – played by Luz Valdez. She is Janice Alvaro's doting spinster aunt-personal assistant-best friend-confidante-conscience and defender rolled into one.
- Berting dela Cruz – portrayed by Julio Diaz; Thea Santiago's live in partner and father to Franz. An unprincipled man who loves to drink and gamble rather than to work for his family.
- Salve Umali – portrayed by Caridad Sanchez, Baby's ever supportive and equally tough grandmother. Salve is ready to do whatever it takes just to protect her granddaughter from further pains and disappointments.
- Regina – portrayed by Neri Naig, Pinoy Reporter's resident erotic novelist-turned-police crime reporter. Her nerdy looks and being "loveless forever" become points of humor within the office. Regina eventually developed a genuine fondness for Alex Santiago, which causes friction between her and Cindy Reyes.
- Sonia – played by Marissa Sanchez, the resident psychic and horoscope writer of Pinoy Reporter. She is also the leader of the "gossip group" in the office, wherein she knows everything, including her bosses' personal issues and flaws. Sonia often uses the catch phrase pick up line, "Naba-vibes ko..." (I sense vibes...).
- Nenita "Kimberly" Labastida – portrayed by Diva Montelaba, Franz dela Cruz's girlfriend whom he met in a cheap spa wherein she works as a masseuse offering "extra services".
- Glenda, Perry, and Jake Labastida – portrayed by Tanya Gomez, Mark Marasigan, and Joshua Aragon. Nenita's irresponsible family.
- Henry - portrayed by Mike Jovida. Lawyer friend of the character "Philip" played by Christopher de Leon.
Production and development
After the sudden cancellation of Haram (lit. Forbidden) which was shelved due to controversies and sensitivity issues involving Islamic faith, GMA Network management decide to come up for a new project making use of the same cast. Series' creator Suzette Doctolero with creative head, Jake Tordesillas and Entertainment TV head, Lilybeth Rasonable began conceptualizing the series under the title "Hiram na Sandali" (lit. Borrowed Moment) in early October 2012. Doctolero decided to pitch the series about "May–December affair" to GMA Entertainment TV Group, since she thought it would be the best replacement for Haram. The network's Drama Department found the concept interesting, since it is "unusual" for a local drama serial to discuss that kind of concept. The title was later changed to Pahiram ng Sandali.
The series has five main casts (fixed cast) being Lorna Tolentino, Dingdong Dantes, Christopher de Leon, Max Collins and Alessandra de Rossi; with eight prominent supporting characters. Tolentino was cast as Janice, a married woman who fell in love in a much younger guy – Alex which played by Dantes. Tolentino finds the series as a "masterpiece" and stated that she can’t let go of the script until she finish reading it till the last page. On the other hand, Dantes expounds, "Words will never be enough to articulate the beauty of Pahiram ng Sandali as an artwork". Teen actress, Kylie Padilla was originally cast as Cindy, but later backed out due to its "far too adult" contents for her age and would require her to do very sensitive scenes that will put her in conflict with her Muslim faith. Collins took over the place left by Padilla as Dantes' second leading lady.
The producer hires Maryo J. delos Reyes to helm the series. Delos Reyes stated that the material has become more intriguing compared to the shelved Haram, since it’s now a love triangle story between a mother, a daughter, and the man who comes between them. "Directing stories about relationships is my comfort zone," Delos Reyes added. He has done many films with some of the senior stars of the cast except for Dantes who he works for the first time for this series. Series’ production began in November 12, 2012 in Quezon City.
Pahiram ng Sandali got positive reviews both from critics and audiences from its initial up to its last episode. Its premiere telecast garnered impressive 23.7% ratings against 17.8% ratings of its counterpart program in ABS-CBN in the overnight television ratings of AGB Nielsen Philippines (November 26, 2012).
Mario Bautista of Journal reviews: "Max (Collins) got praised particularly for that scene last Wednesday when she went to bed with Dingdong and he realizes that she's still a virgin. Director Maryo de los Reyes really handled that delicate scene quite well."
|2013||US International Film and Video Festival||Certificate for Creative Excellence||Best Telenovela||Pahiram ng Sandali||Won|||
|Philippine Movie and Television Press Club||27th PMPC Star Awards for Television||Best Primetime Drama Series||Nominated|||
|Television Asia Plus||18th Asian Television Awards||Best Actress in a Leading Role||Lorna Tolentino||Highly Commended|||
|2014||Entertainment Press Society||11th ENPRESS Golden Screen Television Awards||Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Drama Series||Pending|||
|Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Drama Series||Dingdong Dantes||Pending|
|Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series||Neil Ryan Sese||Pending|
|Outstanding Original Drama Series||Pahiram ng Sandali||Pending|
|Vietnam||SNTV SCTV6||Tình trong khoảnh khắc||June 2, 2014|