Panda pornography (or panda porn) refers generally to movies depicting mating pandas, intended to promote sexual arousal in captive giant pandas. Under zoo conditions, the animals have, in general, proven unenthusiastic about mating, placing their species in danger of extinction.
The method was popularized following reports of an experiment performed by zoologists in Thailand, in which they showed several captive giant pandas at Chiang Mai Zoo a number of videos showing other giant pandas having sex. Though the researchers behind the project state that they believe there have been successful matings due to usage of sex videos for animals, such success so far has not been achieved outside of China, where 31 cubs were born over a ten-month period following commencement of the experiment. Other methods, including the use of Viagra to sexually stimulate pandas, have thus far been unsuccessful.
In popular culture
In 2007, singer/songwriter Josh Groban appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live! performing a song entitled "Panda Love" which demonstrated the idea of pandas being encouraged to mate, this time with the music of Josh Groban.
Panda pornography was also discussed briefly in an episode of An Idiot Abroad: The Short Way Round.
It is also depicted in an episode of "Adventures of God", a webtoon comic.
- Gray, Denis (November 23, 2006). "Pandas Getting New View of Mating Ritual". Washington Post. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "'Panda porn' to encourage mating", Narunart Prapanya, CNN, January 25, 2006. Retrieved August 17, 2007.
- "Panda 'Porn' to Boost Mating Efforts at Thai Zoo", Brian Handwerk, National Geographic, November 13, 2006. Retrieved August 17, 2007.
- "Panda porn pays off" , Ananova.com, Retrieved August 17, 2007. Archived December 1, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- Pandas unexcited by Viagra, BBC News, 9 September 2002. Retrieved August 17, 2007
- "Adventures of God - Ep. 37 - Noah's Ark: Pandas". www.webtoons.com. Retrieved 2017-10-31.