|Directed by||S. P. Muthuraman|
|Produced by||S. P. Muthuraman|
|Screenplay by||Panchu Arunachalam|
|Cinematography||T. S. Vinayagam|
|Edited by||R. Vittal|
Pandian is a 1992 Indian Tamil-language action film, directed by S. P. Muthuraman and written by Panchu Arunachalam. The film stars Rajinikanth, Khushbu, Janagaraj and Prabhakar. A remake of the 1991 Kannada film Bombay Dada, it was released on 25 October 1992 during Diwali, and became an average success.
The film is about Pandian (Rajinikanth), who wants to avenge his sister's (Jayasudha) husband's (Charan Raj) death. He joins the murderer's gang and how he takes revenge forms the crux. Then the gang came to know that Pandiyan did an undercover operation, Pandiyan was a police officer. The rest of the story deals with how Pandiyan caught the culprit, with stylish approach.
- Rajinikanth as Pandian IPS /Mr Right
- Khushbu as Rekha
- Janagaraj as Vinayaga
- Prabhakar as Parameswaran
- Vinu Chakravarthy as Rajendran
- Charan Raj as Ashok Kumar I.P.S.
- Radha Ravi as Lawyer of Parameswaran
- Delhi Ganesh as Public Prosecutor
- Rocky as Philips
- Prathapachandran as Police Officer
- Natraj as Press reporter
- V. Narasimhan as Commissioner of police
- Typist Gopu as Kannaiyan
- Archana Puran Singh as Reeta
- Jayasudha as Inspector Vijayalakshmi
Rajinikanth decide to make a low-budget film with director S. P. Muthuraman. Muthuraman produced the film under his production banner "Visalam Productions", named after his mother. Although not being a producer, Rajini took care of production duties of the film along with A. V. M. Saravanan. Rajini decided to act in the film to contribute for the retirement fund of main crew members of the S. P. Muthuraman team who were regulars in most of the latter's films. The film was a remake of the 1991 Kannada film Bombay Dada. Tiger Prabhakar, who acted as that film's protagonist, portrayed a different role in Pandiyan. Rajini acted in the film without taking any remuneration. Even though the film made some money and whatever money grossed were used for the retirement fund of director Muthuraman's crew. Tragedy struck before release, when Muthuraman's wife died. The original title was Nanban.
|2||"Adi Jumba"||Mano, K. S. Chithra||06:00|
|3||"Anbe Nee Enna"||Mano, K. S. Chithra||04:41|
|4||"Pandiayana Kokka Kokka"||Mano||04:56|
|5||"Pandiyanin Rajiyathil"||Mano, K. S. Chithra||Panju Arunachalam||05:44|
Release and reception
Pandiyan was released on 25 October 1992, Diwali day. The film opened up against Thevar Magan, Senthamizh Paattu, Thirumathi Palanisamy and Raasukutti. The Indian Express called it "a typical Rajini film; a mishmash of all ingredients formulated to please his fans". New Straits Times wrote "This 135-minute movie is only for hard-core Rajini fans". Due to facing competition from Thevar Magan, Pandiyan emerged an average success.
- Reddy, Amar (15 September 2013). "The Journey of Living Legend Rajinikanth — Part 5". Cinema Lead. Archived from the original on 26 September 2013. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- Mannath, Malini (30 October 1992). "Grab it, you fans". The Indian Express. p. 7.
- Ramachandran, Naman (2014). Rajinikanth: The Definitive Biography. Penguin Books. p. 150.
- "எஸ்.பி.முத்துராமன் யூனிட்டின் உதவிக்காக ரஜினி நடித்துக் கொடுத்த 'பாண்டியன்'". Maalai Malar. 31 December 2012. Archived from the original on 31 October 2013. Retrieved 27 June 2020.
- "மனைவி மறைந்த துயரத்தை அடக்கிக்கொண்டு `பாண்டியன்' படத்தை முடித்து வெளியிட்டார், முத்துராமன்". Maalai Malar. 1 January 2013. Archived from the original on 31 October 2013. Retrieved 27 June 2020.
- "Deepavali releases". The Indian Express. 16 October 1992. p. 7.
- "Pandian (1992)". Raaga.com. Archived from the original on 4 March 2014. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Vijiyin, K. (21 November 1992). "Hackneyed plot and unconvincing fighting scenes". New Straits Times. p. 25.
- "Pandian". The Indian Express. 25 October 1992. p. 7.
- Ramesh, Akshay (17 September 2015). "Thoongavanam vs Kabali: Kamal Haasan meets Rajinikanth on the battlefield". India Today. Retrieved 27 June 2020.