Partha Pratim Chakraborty
Partha Pratim Chakrabarti
|Assumed office |
27 July 2013
|Director IIT Kharagpur|
|Preceded by||Damodar Acharya|
|Alma mater||Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur|
|Known for||Director at Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur Mentor Director at Indian Institute of Information Technology Kalyani|
Partha Pratim Chakrabarti (Chakraborty) is an Indian computer scientist. He is a distinguished professor and the present director of IIT Kharagpur. Dr. Chakrabarti has made pioneering research contributions and has solved a number of open problems. His work has been incorporated in standard text books as well as industry level tools of major international companies. He has published more than 200 papers in international journals and conferences and supervised two dozen PhD students. He is also an honorary awardee of Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology, the highest science award in India, for the engineering category in 2000.
He did his schooling from St.Patrick's Higher Secondary School, Asansol. Following this, he completed his B.Tech in 1985 and PhD in 1988 from the Dept of Computer Science & Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur. He joined the same department as a faculty member in 1988 and is currently a Professor.
Awards and honours
- President of India Gold Medal (1985)
- INSA Young Scientist Award (1991)
- INAE Young Engineer Award (1994)
- Anil K Bose Award (1995)
- Swarnajayanti Fellowship (1998)
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize (2000)
- INAE Viswesvarya Chair Professor (2007)
- Rotary Award for Science & Technology (2010)
- S Ramanujam Memorial Lecture of IE (2012)
- J C Bose Fellowship (2013)
He was the professor-in-charge of the state of the art VLSI Design Laboratory which he helped set up and has been the Dean of Sponsored Research and Industrial Consultancy at IIT Kharagpur and Head of the Advanced Technology Development Centre. He was also the co-Director of the strategic General Motors-IIT Kharagpur Collaborative Research Laboratory on Electronics, Constrols and Software. He pioneered the development of the Incubation Programme at IIT Kharagpur. His areas of interest include Artificial Intelligence (AI), Formal Methods, CAD for VLSI & Embedded Systems, Fault Tolerance and Algorithm Design.
He has worked closely with Govt as well as industry on various problems and has successfully led and completed large projects and programmes at national and international levels. Important among them include DST, CSIR, IGSTC, Volkswagen Foundation, National Semiconductor Corporation, Sun Microsystems, Intel Corporation, Synopsys, General Motors, Xerox, etc. He is a well-known teacher and mentor who has not only graduated a large number of students and developed well appreciated teaching modules but has also motivated and championed many student innovation and entrepreneurial activities which have achieved unique successes.
Dr Chakrabarti received the President of India Gold Medal (1985), the INSA Young Scientist Award (1991), Anil K Bose Award (1995), INAE Young Engineer's Award (1997) and the Swarnajayanti Fellowship (1997–98), Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize (2000), INAE Visweswarya Chair Professorship (2007-9), J. C. Bose National Fellowship (2013) and many other awards. He has been elected a Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi and the Indian Academy of Science, Bangalore, Indian National Academy of Engineering and the West Bengal Academy of Science & Technology.
He was appointed director of IIT Kharagpur on 27 July 2013 following official clearance of allegations that he had been involved in the Coalnet scam (not to be confused with Indian coal allocation scam a.k.a. Coalgate scam).
Chakraborty was one of the three IIT professors who had been named by the Central Bureau of Investigation in the Coalnet scam in which work given to institute was outsourced. The CBI had recommended a minor penalty against Chakraborty and more serious penalties for his colleagues, A. K. Bhowmick and R. N. Banerjee. The Kharagpur board of governors gave Chakrabarti a clean chit on 23 March 2013.
The Chairman of the Board of Governors have been informed about the decision of Human Development Ministry that Professor Chakraborty be given the appointment, sources said. The members and a large number of alumni of IIT Kharagpur took a protest march on July 20 to demand appointment of Professor Chakraborty as the Director. The thing Kharagpur will do is Kharagpur will become more international. Kharagpur imbibes the talent in the world. Kilometers around IIT within the next five seven years prosper due to the technology and output. Union Human Development Ministry has cleared the appointment of Professor Chakraborty as director of Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur.
- Shreya Biswas, ET Bureau Jul 26, 2013, 10.24PM IST (2013-07-26). "PP Chakrabarty to be new director of IIT Kharagpur". Economic Times. Retrieved 2013-07-29.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Director - Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur". Archived from the original on February 28, 2013. Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- "Partha Pratim Chakraborty - Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology". CSIR Human Resource Development Group, Govt. of India. Retrieved July 12, 2015.
- "Department of Computer Science & Engineering". IIT Kharagpur. Archived from the original on July 6, 2010. Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- "Swarnajayanti Fellowship Awards (1997 - 2005)". Archived from the original on 2013-09-12. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- "Prof Chakraborty's name cleared as IIT Kharagpur director". Business Standard. 29 July 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "CVC clears PP Chakraborty as IIT-Kharagpur director". The Times of India. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- TNN Jul 21, 2013, 02.07AM IST (2013-07-21). "IIT-Kharagpur without a head, alumni protest in capital". The Times of India. Retrieved 2013-07-29.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Coalnet scam: CVC for action on 3 IIT professors". The Times of India. 2013-03-04. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Our Special Correspondent (1999-03-01). "Vigilance clears IIT director". Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "IIT Kharagpur Alumni Support Prof P.P.Chakrabarti's Candidature for Director, IIT Kharagpur". DNA India. Retrieved 2013-07-29.