This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Alma mater||IIT Kanpur, University of Maine|
|Fields||Electrical Engineering and Telecommunications|
|Institutions||Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Madras, TeNeT Group|
He leads the Telecommunications and Computer Networks group (TeNeT) at IIT Madras. This group is closely working with industry in the development of a number of Telecommunications and Computer Network Systems. TeNeT group has incubated a number of technology companies (like DesiCrew Solutions) which work in partnership with TeNeT group to develop Telecom Access products. The group has also incubated a company which aims to install and operate telephone and internet in every village in India.
He is a director on the board of State Bank of India. He is also a board member of several Telecom and IT companies in India, including Sasken, NRDC, and IDRBT. He is a former board member of VSNL & BSNL.
Since 2016, Prof Jhunjhunwala is leading the efforts of bringing EVs in the country. He believes that youth can make an important contribution in maintaining the GDP of Automobile sector of India and must be promoted to come up with innovative ideas. He nurtures several startups and groups to develop new batteries and EV models. He has been proposing to grasp low hanging fruits first exploiting the technical knowledge of our engineers (e.g. designing BMS, battery packaging) and keep shifting to high investments propositions as and when technology is in house available (e.g. of cell manufacturing). He proposed battery swapping model for public transportation 
He studied in St Lawrence High School in Kolkata (formerly Calcutta) in India, completing the Higher Secondary examination in 1970. He received his B.Tech degree from IIT Kanpur, and his MS and Ph.D degrees from the University of Maine. From 1979 to 1981, he was with Washington State University as Assistant Professor. Since 1981, he has been teaching at IIT Madras.
Contributions in technology innovation
Awards and honors
Jhunjhunwala was named JC Bose Fellowship in 2010
He was Governor of the International Council for Computer Communication Inc., (ICCC) from 1999–2005.
He was awarded the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize in 1998
- "Jhunjhunwala, Valiathan win H.K. Firodia awards". Indiatimes. 29 September 2002. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Ashok Jhunjhunwala - India is ready for the EV revolution. Are you?".
- "IIT Madras testing prototype of swappable electric battery". 27 January 2018.
- "The sky is his limit". Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "Ashok Jhunjhunwala, Ph.D." Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "Bloomberg News: Profile of Ashok Jhunjhunwala, Ph.D." Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "IITM Ashok Jhunjhunwala". Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "Biography Ashok Jhunjhunwala Tenet group". Archived from the original on 15 March 2015. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "Ashok Jhunjhunwala Biography IITM". Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "Indian National Science Academy". Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- http://ssbprize.gov.in/Content/Detail.aspx?AID=489. Missing or empty