|• Punjabi||ਨਵਾਂ ਬਾਜ਼ਾਰ
Southern gate of Pasar Baru
Pasar Baru is an administrative village in the Sawah Besar subdistrict (kecamatan) in Central Jakarta of Indonesia. It has postal code of 10710. Established in 1820, it is one of the oldest shopping district in Jakarta.
Pasar Baru is located in the heart of Jakarta's busiest district. The area centered in a street called Jalan Pasar Baru that runs north-south axis. The southern edge of the street is marked with a gate and a bridge that span over a canal that connects to Jalan Raya Pos, a section of Java's Great Post Road that runs through Jakarta. Right across the Pasar Baru southern gate is Jakarta Art Building. The Pasar Baru street is lined with numbers of shops, restaurants and also several shopping centers. Most of shops here sell textiles, shoes, clothes and other fashion products, such as; sportswear, watch and jewelries. While shopping center on the north sides specialized on selling cosmetics, cameras and photography products.
Culturally the area demonstrate the fusion of Indonesian, Dutch colonial, Chinese and Indian cultures. Pasar Baru is popularly known as Jakarta's Little India, due to the fact that large numbers of Indian Indonesian settled here, and established their textile business in this market.
Pasar Baru in Indonesian language translates to "new market", although it is actually one of the oldest market in the city. It is linked to the history of the city in colonial era. In early 19th century the Dutch colonial government decided to move their administrative center from old, dilapidated and unhealthy Old Batavia (now Kota area) a few kilometres south to Weltevreden area (now Gambir area, Central Jakarta). The new shopping district of Passer Baroe, was established in 1820 to service this new areas, by replacing the Batavia old market in Pasar Pagi Glodok.
Pasar Baru includes three different areas of Jalan Pintu Air Raya, Metro Atom Plaza and Harco Plaza Pasar Baru, allowing visitors to find almost everything under the sun, such as clothes, footwear, musical instruments, beauty products, watches, cameras and more.In addition to being a shopping paradise, Pasar Baru also offers legendary noodle shops and street food as well as religious spots.
- As the area known as Little India, there are Indian apparel outlets and tailors, restaurants, grocery shops.Sai Study Group on Jalan Pasar Baru Selatan, which is the institution hosts lessons about Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba, one of India's most revered spiritual teachers.
- Sin Tek Bio temple,which is located on Jalan Pasar Baru Dalam, was first established in 1698. According to the temple’s guidebook, Sin Tek Bio was founded by Chinese farmers who lived around Ciliwung River and Pasar Baru.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pasar Baru.|
- Naik Kereta Api ke Passer Baroe, Wisata Kota Toea, KOMPAS.com
- Kussendrager, R. J. L (1841). Natuur-en aardrijskundige beschrijving va het eiland Java. J. Oomkens. Retrieved 2009-12-04.
- "Bangunan Jln. Pasar Baru No. 2". Situs resmi Pemerintah Provinsi DKI Jakarta. Retrieved 2009-12-04.
- Ni Nyoman Wira (5 April 2016). "Explore these 5 spots in Pasar Baru, Jakarta's 'Little India'". The Jakarta Post. Jakarta.
- "Explore these 5 spots in Pasar Baru, Jakarta's 'Little India'". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 2017-08-09.