26 June 1946 (age 72)|
London Business School|
Lincoln College, Oxford
|Spouse(s)||Mary Campbell (1973-2002), Dr Catherine Horwood Barwise (2012- )|
Patrick Barwise (born June 1946) is emeritus professor of management and marketing at London Business School. He joined the business school in 1976 after an early career at IBM and has published widely on management, marketing and media.
He is an honorary fellow of the Marketing Society and a patron of the Market Research Society. He was a visiting fellow at the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, Oxford University (2011–2014); chairman of Which?, the consumer organisation (2010–2015); and specialist advisor to House of Lords Select Committee on the Communications Inquiry into the regulation of TV advertising (2010–2011.)
Barwise received a BA in Engineering Science with Economics from Lincoln College, Oxford in 1968 (he went on to receive an MA in 1973). While working for IBM as a systems engineer, he maintained his study, and in 1973, he received a master's degree in Business Studies, from London Business School (LBS). In 1985, he obtained a PhD on Mass Attitudes and Routine Choice Behaviour, from London University.
London Business School
Barwise joined London Business School in 1976. He has published on a wide range of topics in management, marketing and media. From 1976 to 2006, he taught MBA and executive courses on marketing management, competitive positioning/strategy, strategic investment decisions, and 'Making Things Happen' (middle management and innovation). Barwise has also held many management posts at LBS including faculty dean, chairman of the marketing faculty, director of alumni affairs, chief examiner and senate representative.
Most of Barwise's research at LBS comprises applied empirical studies, usually in a practical management or policy context. Topics include: customer focus and innovation, marketing leadership, consumer/audience behaviour and broadcasting policy.
- Anita Elberse (2002) Now a chaired professor at Harvard Business School: Sequential Product Release in International Markets.
- Seán Meehan (1997) Now a chaired professor at IMD, Lausanne: Market Orientation (winner of the Marketing Science Institute's Alden G Clayton award for dissertation proposal).
- Laura Cousins (1985) Now a consultant and lecturer: Marketing Planning in Theory and Practice.
Barwise was the chairman of Which? from 2010 to 2015, where he chaired the council of trustees and sat on the board (commercial activities), the remuneration committee and the investment committee. He has sat on ad hoc advisory panels for many non-profit organisations such as Ethisphere, Channel 4, Market Research Society, Mencap and DCMS. He speaks at, and chairs events on, broadcasting/media policy, customer focus and innovation, digital inclusion, and various aspects of marketing. He carries out applied research and consulting for broadcasters and related companies, regulators and central government (Independent Review of the BBC's Digital TV Services, 2004; Evaluation of the Capability Reviews Programme, 2007; The Impact of the Commercial World on Children's Wellbeing, 2009; Incorporating Social Value into Spectrum Allocation Decisions, 2015) He is also an experienced expert witness in commercial, competition and tax cases.
Barwise has published more than 100 research papers and books. Much of his research can be found here.
Previous published works include
- The 12 Powers of a Marketing Leader
- The Economics of Television in a Digital World
- Beyond the Familiar: Long-Term Growth through Customer Focus and Innovation
- Simply Better: Winning and Keeping Customers by Delivering What Matters Most. Winner of the 2005 American Marketing Association book prize.
- Television and its Audience
- Must Finance and Strategy Clash?
- "Patrick Barwise | London Business School". Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Barwise, Patrick. "Who's Who". www.ukwhoswho.com. Retrieved 29 June 2016.(subscription required)
- "Patrick Barwise named as new MRS patron | Market Research Society", www.mrs.org.uk, retrieved 29 June 2016
- "Patrick Barwise, Former Visiting Fellow". 25 February 2014. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "House of Lords – Regulation of Television Advertising – Communications Committee". Parliament of the United Kingdom. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Elberse, Anita. "Anita Elberse – Faculty – Harvard Business School". hbs.edu. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "Seán Meehan | International Institute for Management Development". Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "Laura Cousins | UCL School of Management". University College London. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- Barta, Thomas; Barwise, Patrick (2016). The 12 Powers of a Marketing Leader. New York: McGraw-Hill. ISBN 978-1259834714.
- Barwise, Patrick; Picard, Robert G (2012). The Economics of Television in a Digital World.
- Barwise, Patrick; Meehan, Seán (2011). Beyond the familiar : long-term growth through customer focus and innovation. Hoboken, N.J.: Jossey-Bass/Wiley. ISBN 978-0470976319.
- Barwise, Patrick; Meehan, Sean (2004). Simply better : winning and keeping customers by delivering what matters most. Boston: Harvard Business School Press. ISBN 978-0875843988.
- Barwise, Patrick; Ehrenberg, Andrew (1996). Television and its audience (Repr. ed.). London [u.a.]: SAGE Publ. ISBN 9780803981553.
- "Must Finance and Strategy Clash?". Harvard Business Review. Retrieved 30 June 2016.