Paturis Park murders
The Paturis Park murders are a series of 13 murders of gay men committed between February 2007 and August 2008. The murders took place in Paturis Park ("Parque dos Paturis") in Carapicuíba, Brazil, and were perpetrated by an unidentified killer dubbed the "Rainbow Maniac".
Murders and investigation
The killings took place between February 2007 and August 2008 in Paturis Park. The victims, all gay men, were aged 20–40. All but one were shot, 12 of them in the head; one died from blows to the head. The last victim was shot 12 times. According to Brazilian media, the park is in an area frequented by prostitutes. Police dubbed the killer the "Rainbow Maniac", a reference to the gay pride flag.
The first murder occurred on 4 July 2007 and the last on 15 March 2009.
Officials from the São Paulo State Public Safety Department announced that the killer could be a state police officer. As of 2008[update], tests are underway to see if the same gun was used in each murder.
On 10 December 2008, police arrested a retired state police sergeant, Jairo Francisco Franco, based on witness statements implicating him in a murder which occurred on 19 August 2008. A witness claims to have seen Franco shoot a black gay man 12 times that night. Another witness told police that Franco often visited the park to look for gay men and victims.
On 23 August 2011, Jairo Francisco Franco was released after the trial, having been declared not guilty by the jury by 4 votes against 2.
- "Brazilian ex-cop quizzed in deaths of 13 gays". MSNBC. 11 December 2008. Retrieved 7 July 2009.
- "Hunt for serial killer of gays". Herald Sun. 10 December 2008. Retrieved 30 December 2008.[dead link]
- "Brazil police investigate possible serial killings of 13 gay men in last 2 years". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on December 9, 2008.
- Phillips, Tom (14 December 2008). "The 'Rainbow killer' stalks Brazilian gays". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 30 December 2008.
- "Brazil Suspects Former Cop in Murders of 13 Homosexuals". Latin American Herald Tribune. Retrieved 30 December 2008.
- "Confira a cronologia dos assassinatos no parque dos Paturis". O Estado de S. Paulo. 16 March 2009. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- "Police officer is suspect in serial murders of gays in Brazil". Dallas Voice. 22 December 2008. Retrieved 30 December 2008.
- Olle, Nick (10 December 2008). "Police hunt suspected serial killer in Brazil". ABC News. Retrieved 30 December 2008.