November 28, 1962 |
Oak Park, Illinois, United States
|Occupation||Actor, producer, writer, comedian, director|
Paul Dinello (born November 28, 1962) is an American actor, comedian, writer, director, and an alumnus of DePaul University, Chicago-based The Second City, Improv Institute, and Annoyance Theatre. He is best known for his role on Comedy Central's Strangers with Candy as Geoffrey Jellineck, the closeted gay art teacher at Flatpoint High, who carries on a not-so-secret relationship with his colleague Chuck Noblet (Stephen Colbert). Currently he is a writer and supervising producer for The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, where he has made several on-camera appearances.
Most recently, Dinello has made guest appearances on Colbert's show The Colbert Report as Tad, the building manager. The character is often berated by Colbert, who forces him to do dangerous things. Dinello has made at least five appearances on The Colbert Report, including a tumbling act with Colbert and their Strangers co-star Sedaris in July 2006. After a prolonged absence, Dinello returned as Tad on July 12, 2011 to help Colbert interview activist Dan Savage, in the role of Colbert's "heterosexual accountability-buddy" and potential companion to a gay wedding. They resumed their insinuations of a sexual relationship from Strangers with Candy.
Dinello was also a writer, producer, and director for the Strangers with Candy film, which was released in July 2006. In January 2009, Participant Media announced that it would produce Dinello's next film, Mr. Burnout (about a burned out teacher seeking to rekindle his love of teaching).
Dinello dated his Strangers with Candy co-star Amy Sedaris for eight years after they met at Second City.
|1995–96||Exit 57||Various Characters||12 episodes|
|1999–2000||Strangers with Candy||Geoffrey Jellineck||29 episodes|
|2005-2014||The Colbert Report||Tad the Building Manager||Writer and supervising producer|
|2005||Strangers with Candy (film)||Geoffrey Jellineck||Director and writer|
|2008||Be Kind Rewind||Mr. Rooney|
|2008||Gym Teacher: The Movie||Mr. Tipple||Director|
|2010||Rally to Restore Sanity||Writer and consulting producer|
|2015||Difficult People||Paul||1 episode|
|2015-||The Late Show with Stephen Colbert||Himself||Writer and supervising producer|
- Colbert, Dinello, Sedaris. Wigfield: The Can-Do Town That Just May Not (Hyperion, May 19, 2004) ISBN 0-7868-8696-X
- I Am America (And So Can You!) (Grand Central Publishing; October 9, 2007) ISBN 0-446-58050-3
- Sedaris & Dinello. Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People (Grand Central Publishing, November 2, 2010) ISBN 0-446-55704-8
- "Paul Dinello Biography".
- Heterosexual Accountability Buddy. Colbert Nation. 12 July 2011. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- Strangers With Candy Movie Reviews, Pictures, Rotten Tomatoes
- Graser, Marc. "Warner Bros. Plays Cat-and-Mouse Game." Daily Variety. January 22, 2009.
- Biersdorfer, J.D. (3 December 2010). "Holiday Books: Crafts". The New York Times. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- Colbert Nation – Sign Off – Formula 401 Rumors
- on YouTube