This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (October 2011)
|Labels||Eat Rice Records
Geykido Comet Records
Chicken Ranch Records
|Past members||Peelander Blue
Peelander-Z is a Japanese punk band based in New York City in 1998 by Peelander-Yellow, Peelander-Red and Peelander-Blue. They bill themselves as a "Japanese Action Comic Punk band hailing from the Z area of Planet Peelander". While the founding members of Peelander-Z were all born in Japan, they first met and formed their band while living in New York.
They perform on stage and appear in color-coordinated costumes, which they state are not costumes, but their skin. The costumes range from sentai style suits, to kimono, to rubber Playmobil style wigs. There is also a tiger costume and a giant squid/guitar costume to coincide with the song "Mad Tiger". Another aspect of their routine is their on-stage antics such as human bowling (diving head-first into bowling pins), pretending to hit each other with chairs in imitation of pro-wrestlers, and mid-performance piggyback rides. They often allow audience members on stage to join in on the fun, and often dive into the audience or hang from a balcony as part of their act.
In 2001 Peelander-Z released their first full-length album, Rocket Gold Star on Eat Rice Records. Band remained active this year touring both Canada and Japan.
In June 2008, Peelander Blue announced he would be leaving the group to "go back to the Peelander-planet" because he is "a prince of P-Planet" and the "P-King will be retiring." (P-Blue was getting married and could no longer tour.) In July 2008, Peelander-Z welcomed Peelander-Green.
On September 17, 2012 Peelander-Red announced he would be leaving the band at the end of their U.S. tour. He left the band to open up his own bar in New York. Peelander-Purple joined the band as his replacement in February 2013.
Videos surfacing from 2015 live concerts show Peelander-Z performing as only a three-piece band with Yellow on Guitar, Green on drums and Pink on bass.
In 2016, Film Movement released Mad Tiger, the feature documentary film about the band's inner turmoil during and after Peelander-Red's departure. The film was in production from 2012 to 2015 and was directed by Jonathan Yi and Michael Haertlein.
- Kengo Hioki (a.k.a. Peelander Yellow) - lead vocals and guitar
- Kotaro Tsukada (a.k.a. Peelander Red) - bass and backing vocals
- Akihiko "Cherry" Naruse (a.k.a. Peelander Green) - drums and smiles
- Yumiko Kanazaki (a.k.a. Peelander Pink) - keyboards and flashlight
- Testuya Hayakawa (a.k.a. Peelander Black) - guitar
- Akiteru Ito (a.k.a. Peelander Purple) - bass and backing vocals
- Peelander-Z (2000)
- Rocket Gold Star (2001)
- P-Bone Steak (2003)
- Dancing Friendly (2005)
- Happee Mania (2006)
- P-Pop-High School (2009)
- P-TV-Z (2010)
- Space Vacation (2012)
- Metalander-Z (2013)
- You Call This Music?! Volume 2 (2002)
- Shit Associated Music Vol.1 (2002)
- Six Steps To A Better You: Six Band CD (2003)
- This Just In... Benefit For Indy Media (2005)
- Candy Poison Vol. 2 (2005)
- Nitro Franken Reloaded!!! Kill Kill (2005)
- Teriyaki Suplexxx (2007)
- split 7" with Four Letter Words (2000) - out of print, but available free at Verbicide Magazine
- split 7" with Birthday Suits (2008)
- split 7" with Loafass (2008) - Buttbread Records
- split 7" with Electric Eel Shock (2013)
- Peelander is FUN! DVD (2007)
- Chemical X DVD Music Video Compilation (2008)
- Mad Tiger (2016)
Peelander-Z has a complex stage act, which involves hand-written signs, costumes, and audience participation. The signs often contain the lyrics to their songs. At some of their shows they also bring people from outside of the band on stage to play their instruments as they do a stage act.
Professional wrestling is a big theme in Peelander-Z's personas. Peelander Blue dresses in pro-wrestling garb, including a replica wrestling belt. All 3 members of the group are fans of professional wrestling, and are friends with independent wrestlers "M-Dogg 20" Matt Cross and Josh Prohibition. They have also been musically featured with pro-wrestling related Kaiju Big Battel.
On June 23, 2007, the group performed at The Florida Supercon in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. During their concert, pro-wrestler Nick Mayberry rushed the stage and threatened to assault the group. The trio were able to fight back, and both Peelander Blue and Peelander Red pinned Mayberry simultaneously - being named new co-HCW Hardcore Champions. This was their first pro-wrestling Title win.
On November 3, 2007, Mayberry appeared again with the group at the JaniCon in Jacksonville, Florida. He again made his way to the stage during their concert, assaulting the band and re-gaining HCW's Hardcore Championship, before being taken down by a chairshot from Peelander Blue. Peelander Blue, Peelander Red and Peelander Pink pinned Mayberry simultaneously, with all 3 being named co-HCW Hardcore Champions. It marks their second pro-wrestling Title victory.
This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peelander-Z.|
- Official website
- Mad Tiger
- GC Records
- Peelander-Z interview on Brightest Young Things
- Peelander-Z interview on Karaterice
- Peelander-Z interview on Razorcake
- Peelander-Z interview on SparkPlugged
- Peelander-Z interview at J-Pop World
- 5 Cosmic Minutes With Peelander Yellow.