Front: 1,499 mm (59.0 in)|
Rear: 1,562 mm (61.5 in)
|Wheelbase||2,692 mm (106.0 in)|
|Engine||Ford Cosworth DFV 2,993 cc (182.6 cu in) V8 naturally aspirated Mid-engine, longitudinally mounted|
|Transmission||Hewland FG 400 5-speed manual|
|Weight||582 kg (1,283 lb)|
Citibank Team Penske |
John Watson |
|Debut||1976 Brazilian Grand Prix|
In 1976 Penske signed a sponsorship deal with Citibank and built a new car, the Penske PC3. Northern Irish driver John Watson was signed to drive the car. which retained some of the design features from its predecessors, the Penske PC1, and the March 751. The PC3 was a development of the March 751 and bore a close resemblance to it. In total, two cars were constructed with one being driven by Watson.
Citibank Team Penske
Penske fielded the brand new PC3 for Watson in the final race of the 1975 season. The United States Grand Prix, Watson used the car in practice, but due to a technical failure was forced to switch to the old PC1, which was in the paddock as a demonstrator, for the race. He finished in ninth position, but his performance earned him a full-time Penske F1 drive for 1976.
The first race of the 1976 season was the Brazilian Grand Prix, Watson retired when a fuel system failure turned into a fire. and finished fifth at South Africa. Watson was eleven laps down and not classified at the United States Grand Prix West and retired at Spain with engine failure, Watson finished seventh at the Belgian Grand Prix and tenth at Monaco. The PC3 was not as good as had been hoped and in the midseason Penske produced a new Penske PC4 from the Swedish Grand Prix onwards.
The Penske team scored 20 World Championship points in 1976, two with the PC3 and 18 with the PC4. Earning them fifth place in the Constructors' Championship.
Complete Formula One World Championship results
|1975||Penske Cars||Ford Cosworth DFV 3.0 V8||G||ARG||BRA||RSA||ESP||MON||BEL||SWE||NED||FRA||GBR||GER||AUT||ITA||USA||21||12th1|
|1976||Citibank Team Penske||Ford Cosworth DFV 3.0 V8||G||BRA||RSA||USW||ESP||BEL||MON||SWE||FRA||GBR||GER||AUT||NED||ITA||CAN||USE||JPN||202||5th2|
|F&S Properties||Boy Hayje||Ret|
|1976||Citibank Team Penske||Ford Cosworth DFV 3.0 V8||G||ROC||INT|
|1977||Hexagon Racing||Ford Cosworth DFV 3.0 V8||G||ROC|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Penske PC3.|
- Stats F1. "Penske PC3". Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- "Penske Ford". Jonathan Davies. Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- "Grand Prix results, United States GP 1975". grandprix.com. Retrieved 16 July 2016.
- "Grand Prix results, Brazilian GP 1976". grandprix.com. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- "Grand Prix results, South Africa GP 1976". grandprix.com. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- "Grand Prix results, United States GP West 1976". grandprix.com. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- "Grand Prix results, Spanish GP 1976". grandprix.com. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- "Grand Prix results, Belgian GP 1976". grandprix.com. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- "Grand Prix results, Monaco GP 1976". grandprix.com. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- "Grand Prix results, Dutch GP 1976". grandprix.com. Retrieved 4 June 2016.