This article has an unclear citation style.May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)(
|Birth name||Perttu Päivö Kullervo Kivilaakso|
|Genres||Gothic metal, symphonic metal|
Perttu Päivö Kullervo Kivilaakso is a cello player for Finnish band Apocalyptica. Like fellow band members Eicca Toppinen and Paavo Lötjönen, he attended Sibelius Academy in Helsinki. He plays a German 19th century cello; he started playing the cello when he was 5 years old and joined Apocalyptica for their third studio album Cult. Kivilaakso played in Apocalyptica's 1995 line up, but he was concentrating on his studies when the band began their professional career. At the end of 1999 he came back, switching places with Antero Manninen, who then went to play in a classical orchestra.
Kivilaakso won third place in the second International Paulo Cello Competition in 1996 at age 18. Shortly afterward, he attained a lifetime chair in the Helsinki Philharmonic orchestra, where his father, Juhani, is also a cellist. He was on indefinite leave while touring with Apocalyptica, but left for good in 2007.
Kivilaakso has also composed music for the video game Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne, a few documentary films, as well as many original compositions for Apocalyptica, including "Conclusion," "Farewell" and "Beautiful."
His first opera, composed with his Apocalyptica bandmate Eicca Toppinen, was premiered at the Finnish National Opera on 22 January 2016. The opera, entitled "Indigo", tells "a story of an omnipotent, multinational company and a search for happiness."
As of late 2019, Kivilaakso was living with his wife and a dog. They have no children.
- Ankeny, Jason. "Biography: Apocalyptica". Allmusic. Retrieved 12 June 2010.
- Interview with Mikko and Eicca for FaceCulture.nl 2007 http://apocalyptica.apocello.ru/press/faceculture-mikko-eicca-2007-en.php
- youtube interactive interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFesTOwz36g&feature=channel
-  Archived 6 January 2010 at the Wayback Machine
-  Archived 6 March 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- http://www.hel.fi/wps/portal/Kaupunginorkesteri_en/Artikkeli?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/HKO/en/Musicians/Juhani+Kivilaakso Archived 11 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- Reflections CD booklet
- Apocalyptica CD booklet
- 7th Symphony CD booklet
- "New works commissioned by The Finnish National Opera and the Finnish National Ballet". Music Finland. 17 November 2014. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- "APOCALYPTICA's PERTTU KIVILAAKSO And EICCA TOPPINEN Create 'Indigo' Opera". Blabbermouth.net. 13 November 2015. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- Darialys (3 January 2020). "APOCALYPTICA (NOVEMBER 2019)". Music Waves. Retrieved 20 January 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Perttu Kivilaakso.|