|Born||1962 (age 56–57)|
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter|
|Spouse(s)||Linda Brogmus, a dentist|
Peter Segal (born 1962) is an American film director, producer, screenwriter, and actor. Segal has directed the comedic films Tommy Boy (1995), My Fellow Americans (1996), The Nutty Professor II: The Klumps (2000), Anger Management (2003), 50 First Dates (2004), The Longest Yard (2005), Get Smart (2008), and Grudge Match (2013).
- 1 Early life and education
- 2 Career
- 3 Upcoming projects
- 4 Personal life
- 5 Filmography
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Early life and education
Segal grew up in New York City, where his father was head of publicity at MGM. In the 1970s, Segal and his family moved to Los Angeles. Segal attended the University of Southern California, where he double majored in Broadcast Journalism and English.
Segal began his career writing and directing television, earning eight Emmy Awards. In 2002, he created the NBC sitcom Hidden Hills (2002-2003). In 1995, he formed his production company, Callahan Filmworks, along with long-time producing partner Michael Ewing.
Naked Gun 33⅓: The Final Insult
My Fellow Americans
Nutty Professor II: The Klumps
Segal directed with Adam Sandler for the first time in Anger Management (2003), which also starred Jack Nicholson. When asked by the BBC who was the most famous person in his contacts book, Segal replied, "I have to say, it's very obvious now, it's Jack Nicholson. I've kept his number on my speed dial just so I can show it to friends. I could call him up out of the blue, but I'm worried he might say 'Pete who?'"
50 First Dates
The Longest Yard
Segal collaborated with Sandler for the third time in The Longest Yard (2005), a remake of the 1974 film of the same name. The film has become the second highest grossing sports comedy in history.
After directing three of Sandler's films, Segal's next film became Get Smart (2008). It is an adaptation of the '60s television series of the same name that was created by Mel Brooks and Buck Henry. Segal stated in an interview with AMC that he loved the show so much as a kid. The film starred Steve Carell, Anne Hathaway, Dwayne Johnson, Alan Arkin and Terence Stamp.
When asked in a September 2014 interview by the BBC if he believes in God, Segal replied: "I do. I'm very spiritual and I'm Jewish by faith. I'm not a practicing Jew, I'm more of a recreational Jew. I celebrate the holidays and I try to inform my kids about their heritage because I think we all at some point have to defend our heritage and if they get picked on I want them to know why."
- Naked Gun 33⅓: The Final Insult (1994) - 1# Producer of 'Sawdust & Mildew'
- Tommy Boy (1995)
- My Fellow Americans (1996) - TV Technician
- Nutty Professor II: The Klumps (2000) - Scared Popcorn Man
- Anger Management (2003)
- 50 First Dates (2004)
- The Longest Yard (2005)
- Get Smart (2008)
- Grudge Match (2013)
- Second Act (2018)
- My Spy (2019)
- "Peter Segal". The New York Times.
- Tinkham, Chris (24 December 2013). "Peter Segal: Ringside View". Under the Radar. Retrieved 4 March 2015.
- Russell, Jamie (24 September 2014). "No.14: Peter Segal". BBC Online. Retrieved 4 March 2015.
- "Comedy@SCA Presents: Dying is Easy, Comedy is Hard - An Evening with Steve Carell and Peter Segal". USC School of Cinematic Arts. 18 November 2011. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Veteran Comedy Director Peter Segal Announced as Hershey(R)'s Take 5(R) Film Contest Judge; ``Taste and Believe and Win $10,000". The Hershey Company. 12 June 2006. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Miller, Neil (2 August 2007). "INTERVIEW: GET SMART DIRECTOR PETER SEGAL". Film School Rejects. Archived from the original on 1 March 2011. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Douglas, Edward (28 July 2007). "Comic-Con Exclusive: Peter Segal on Shazam!". Superhero Hype!. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Neuman, Clayton (23 June 2008). "Masters of SciFi – An Interview with Get Smart Director Peter Segal". Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Topel, Fred (24 December 2013). "Exclusive Interview: Peter Segal on Grudge Match and Shazam". CraveOnline. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Lesnick, Silas (23 December 2013). "Interview: Director Peter Segal Steps Into the Ring for Grudge Match". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "'Get Smart' Director Peter Segal To Helm 'Captain Marvel' Movie". 24 November 2008. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Norton, Damen (23 January 2014). "HeyUGuys Interview: Grudge Match Director Peter Segal On New Orleans and.. Johnny Quest?". Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Paur, Joey. "Disney Hires Peter Segal to Direct GOBLINS". Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Romano, Nick (26 December 2013). "'Shazam' Movie No Longer Fits Into the Planned DC Universe, Says Director Peter Segal". ScreenCrush. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Andreeva, Nellie (15 September 2014). "Peter Segal To Direct & Executive Produce MTV's Ken Jeong Comedy Pilot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Khouri, Andy (23 February 2012). "Warner Bros. Wants the 'Get Smart' Guy to Make a 'Bleach' Movie". Comics Alliance. Archived from the original on 21 March 2015. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Raup, Jordan (22 February 2012). "Warner Bros. Revives 'Bleach' Adaptation With 'Get Smart' Director Peter Segal". Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Miller, Rob (7 August 2013). "Live-Action 'Jetsons' Movie Gets 'Smart' New Director". Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Grace, Whitney (24 November 2014). "Peter Segal Tapped by Disney to Direct 'Goblins'". Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Weintraub, Steve "Frosty" (24 December 2013). "Director Peter Segal Talks GRUDGE MATCH, Casting De Niro and Stallone, and More; Reveals What Happened With SHAZAM and GET SMART 2". Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Anderson, Derek (19 November 2014). "'Get Smart' Director Peter Segal to Helm Disney's 'Goblins'". Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Pearson, Ben (24 May 2012). "'Get Smart' Director Peter Segal to Build 'The Machine' with Vin Diesel". Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Fleming, Jr., Mike (19 November 2014). "Peter Segal To Direct Children's Tale 'Goblins' For Disney". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Romano, Paul (23 December 2013). "Director Peter Segal Looks Back On Scrapped SHAZAM Movie". Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Larson, Jared (31 December 2013). "DIRECTOR PETER SEGAL TALKS SHAZAM ON THE BIG SCREEN". IGN. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Shwayder, Maya (17 December 2013). "Sylvester Stallone, Robert De Niro in Fighting Form at 'Grudge Match' Premiere". Variety. Retrieved 7 March 2015.