|Occupation||Film critic, author, journalist|
|Genre||Film criticism, journalism|
Peter Travers is an American film critic and journalist, who has written for, in turn, People and Rolling Stone. Travers also hosts a celebrity interview show called Popcorn on ABC News Now and ABCNews.com.
Travers joined Rolling Stone in 1989 after a four-year stint with People. According to eFilmCritic.com, Travers is the nation's most blurbed film critic. Some of the contemporary directors he is most receptive to based on ratings and placement in top ten lists include Martin Scorsese, David Lynch, Paul Thomas Anderson, Clint Eastwood, Christopher Nolan, Joel and Ethan Coen, and Ang Lee. He has also shown a great deal of disdain for certain directors, most notably Michael Bay and his films. Travers also hosts The New York Film Critics Series® (NYFCS®), one of the leading word-of-mouth screening companies, partnered with the nation’s leading independent cinemas to present live, national, in-theater screenings with captured live stars, directors and producers.
Since 1989, Travers had reviewed for Rolling Stone 2,465 movies as of July 21, 2011. On April 10, 2002, Travers began using intensively a star-rating system ranging from No star to Four Star. He used such a system very seldom before, and not all reviews are rated.
|Year||No Star||Half Star||One Star||One Half Star||Two Star||Two Half Star||Three Star||Three Half Star||Four Star||Total Movies||Average Rating|
Based on analysis of ratings, normalising to number of reviews in each category, the following directors have the highest percentage of reviews in the range Three Stars–Four Stars:
|Director||Three Star||Three HalfStar||Four Star|
(*) Information updated up to July 21, 2011
Annual film rankings
- Best Film of the '80s: Blue Velvet
- 1989: Do the Right Thing
- 1990: Goodfellas
- 1991: The Silence of the Lambs
- 1992: The Player
- 1993: Short Cuts
- 1994: Pulp Fiction
- 1995: Get Shorty
- 1996: The People vs. Larry Flynt
- 1997: Titanic
- 1998: The Truman Show
- 1999: American Beauty
- 2000: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Almost Famous
- 2001: Memento (Indiewood List) and The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Hollywood List)
- 2002: Gangs of New York
- 2003: Mystic River
- 2004: Sideways
- 2005: A History of Violence
- 2006: The Departed
- 2007: No Country for Old Men
- 2008: Milk
- 2009: Precious
- Best Film of the '00s: There Will Be Blood
- 2010: The Social Network
- 2011: Drive
- 2012: The Master
- 2013: 12 Years a Slave
- 2014: Boyhood
- 2015: Spotlight
- 2016: La La Land
|Film title||Director||Reviewed in||Star rating|
|Leviathan||Zvyagintsev, Andrey||Travers, Peter (May 2015). "[Untitled review]". Movies. Rolling Stone (Australia). 762: 103.||4|
|Mommy||Dolan, Xavier||Travers, Peter (May 2015). "[Untitled review]". Movies. Rolling Stone (Australia). 762: 103.||4|
|Black Sea||Macdonald, Kevin||Travers, Peter (May 2015). "[Untitled review]". Movies. Rolling Stone (Australia). 762: 103.||3|
- "New York Film Critics Circle: Peter Travers". New York Film Critics Circle. Archived from the original on 27 April 2006. Retrieved 3 April 2010.
- Childress, Erik. "Criticwatch 2008 - The Whores of the Year". eFilmCritic.com. Retrieved 3 April 2010.
- Childress, Erik. "Criticwatch 2009 - The Whores of the Year". eFilmCritic.com. Retrieved 3 April 2010.
- "NY Film Critics Series". Nyfilmcriticsseries.com.
- "Rolling Stone Movies - Movie Reviews". Retrieved 2011-03-27.
- "Movie Reviews : Rolling Stone". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- 1=Poor, 2=Fair, 3=Good, 4=Excellent, 5=Classic