||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012)|
December 15, 1988 |
|Achievements and titles|
|National finals||bronze medal in sr. world championship Sept.2012,Canada|
Geeta Phogat is a female wrestler from India who won India's first ever gold medal in women's wrestling in the 55 kg freestyle category at the 2010 Commonwealth Games and is sponsored by the JSW Sports Excellence Program.
She is the first-ever Indian woman wrestler to have qualified for the Olympics. Phogat won a gold medal in the Wrestling FILA Asian Olympic Qualification Tournament that concluded at Almaty, Kazakhstan in April 2012. She has undergone rigorous training at the Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports, (NSNIS), Patiala, under the guidance of chief coach O.P. Yadav and foreign expert Ryan Dobo. She has numerous other international medals to her credit, including three consecutive medals in the Asian Cadet Championships in 2003, 2004 and 2005.
Summer Olympics 2012
Geeta was beaten in her opening fight by Canadian Tonya Verbeek (1-3). Geeta received a chance to win bronze medal since Tonya Lynn Verbeek went to the finals. In the repechage round, she lost her first repechage match to Lazareva from Ukraine. In the senior women world wrestling championship Sept. 2012 in Canada, Geeta along her sister Babita Kumari won the bronze medals under the guidance of women chief coach O. P. Yadav of NIS Patiala.
- "But hey, this is family...", Jul 31, 2010, Times of India, retrieved Oct 11, 2013
- "Geeta Phogat: Profile 2012 London Olympics". Zeenews.india.com. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "Olympic wrestling: Geeta Phogat loses opening fight". Retrieved 09-08-2012. Check date values in:
- "Geeta starts with a fight, gets blown away in repechage". The Times Of India. Retrieved 10-08-2012. Check date values in:
- "Fédération Internationale des Luttes Associées". Fila-wrestling.com. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
|This biographical article relating to an Indian sport wrestler or wrestling coach is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|