Pigs of the Roman Empire
|Pigs of the Roman Empire|
|Studio album by Melvins / Lustmord|
|Released||August 23, 2004|
Pigs of the Roman Empire is an album by the American alternative metal group Melvins and electronic musician Lustmord, which was released in 2004 through Ipecac Recordings. Adam Jones, guitarist for Tool, also makes substantial contributions to the album.
I'd always liked what Lustmord did and I thought that doing a record with him would be a really good thing to do. A far as it being a collaboration, there are things on that record that are strictly 'us' and strictly 'him' but we never said which was which because we didn't want people to have any preconceived ideas. For example, [with the title track] we gave him 11 minutes of music and he came back with 22, which was exactly what we wanted him to do. But some parts are just me and Dale nearing the end of our tether with Kevin [Rutmanis, Melvins bassist who left the band soon after] and there are things that critics blamed Lustmord for when he's not even on the track! If I had to say 'buy these 5 records', then this would be one of them.
All songs written by King Buzzo and Lustmord
|2.||"The Bloated Pope"||3:45|
|4.||"Pigs of the Roman Empire"||22:29|
The CD edition only lists the first eight tracks. The hidden ninth track includes two songs separated by a bit of silence. A double LP edition was released by Alternative Tentacles which lists the ninth track only with two question marks and also includes the original mix of "Safety Third" as an unlisted bonus.
- King Buzzo - vocals, guitar, bass guitar, electronics
- Dale Crover - drums
- Kevin Rutmanis - bass guitar, slide bass, electronics, guitar, keyboards
- Adam Jones - guitar
- B. Lustmord - sound design, programming, production
- Sir David Scott Stone - additional electronics & keyboards
- "Pigs of the Roman Empire - Melvins". Allmusic.
- Kerrang! Magazine, issue #1214, June 14, 2008. Treasure Chest. An Intimate Portrait of a Life in Rock. King Buzzo. P.60