Pine Bush Central School District
The Pine Bush Central School District was established in 1938 in Pine Bush, New York, United States, and spans all of the Town of Crawford and includes part of six other townships in Orange, Sullivan, and Ulster counties. The student enrollment for the district is over 6,200. In the 2008–09 school year, the district had a budget of $99.9 million.
The school district has been named as a defendant in a lawsuit filed in March 2012 by three families alleging inaction following accusations of antisemitism and the resultant creation of a hostile learning environment.
The district has 7 schools.
- Pine Bush, New School
- E. J. Russell Elementary School
- Pine Bush Elementary School
- Pine Bush High School
- Circleville Elementary School
- Circleville Middle School
- Pakanasink Elementary School
- Orange County, New York
- Sullivan County
- Ulster County
On November 8, 2013, The New York Times ran a front page story that detailed allegations of antisemitic bullying in the Pine Bush Central School District and a related lawsuit by the parents of three district students. In an earlier Times article, Philip G. Steinberg, the district's superintendent from 2008 to 2013, who, as well as two other administrators named as defendants, is Jewish, described the lawsuit as a "money grab." In the days following the Times' coverage hundreds of people protested against "its portrayal of Pine Bush as a bigoted, biased community." The United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York issued a statement in support of the plaintiffs in January 2014. Following a five-month long state police investigation, the Orange County District Attorney's Office announced in September, 2014, that no criminal charges would be filed against any children and "the investigation revealed no evidence that any school official had engaged in any criminal conduct." On November 4, 2014, Federal District Court Judge Kenneth M. Karas, presiding in White Plains, NY, denied a defense motion to dismiss the case brought on behalf of three of the five children included in the complaint.
- Yakin, Heather (December 12, 2012). "PB bullying lawsuit can name school officials". Times Herald-Record. Middletown, NY. Retrieved November 15, 2013.
- Weiser, Benjamin (November 7, 2013). "Swastikas, Slurs and Torment in Town's Schools". The New York Times. Retrieved November 15, 2013.
- Randall, Michael (November 14, 2013). "Feds looking into claims of anti-Semitism in Pine Bush school district". Times Herald-Record. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- "US attorney: NY district didn't deal with student anti-Semitism". The Times of Israel. Jewish Telegraphic Agency. January 27, 2014. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Solis, Marcus (September 3, 2014). "No charges to be filed amid Pine Bush school anti-Semitism allegations". WABC-TV. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- Weiser, Benjamin (November 4, 2014). "Judge Denies Motion to Dismiss Lawsuit Over Anti-Semitic Bullying in a New York School District". The New York Times. Retrieved May 24, 2015.