Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (September 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Pitt Race Complex
|First race||September 3, 1983|
The Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix is a vintage motor sports car race and 10-day motorsport festival that takes place annually in mid-July in Schenley Park located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. With an estimated 250,000 spectators during the 10 days, the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix is one of the largest vintage sports car race events in the United States. The race originated in 1983 and is now the longest-continually-running vintage road race in the nation, with an ever-widening national and international recognition as one of the premier vintage motorsports events. The race is the highlight of a 10-day Race Week. The opening weekend at Pittsburgh International Race Complex hosts the PVGP Historic Races for faster cars has become a significant race in its own right.
The event at Schenley Park hosts 150 vintage racers, over 2,500 show cars and 200,000 weekend spectators. The street course, considered the most challenging on the vintage race circuit, traverses Schenley Park's Serpentine Drive and consists of a 2.33 mile circuit that has 23 turns, haybales, manhole covers, phone poles, and stone walls. 2018 marked the 36th consecutive year of the races with the signature event, the International Car Show and Vintage Races, through the streets of Schenley Park on the July 20/21, 2019 weekend. Since 1983 the event has donated over $5.5 million to autistic and developmentally disabled individuals throughout the Pittsburgh region.
The Grand Prix has grown into a 10-day celebration of motorsports and in addition to two weekends of racing it now includes a blacktie gala, a road rallye, a downtown parade & car display, a Jet Center Party, Countryside Tour and three distinct car shows.
- "Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix Association: Welcome". Archived from the original on 2009-02-13. Retrieved 2009-03-01.
- "Walt and Louiseann Pietrowicz, A Race with a Silver Lining, Vintage Motorsport, Nov/Dec 2007". Archived from the original on 2010-11-26. Retrieved 2009-03-01.
- "Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix Association|PVGP Association". Archived from the original on 2008-01-12. Retrieved 2009-03-01.
- "Larry Sanata, Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix at BeaveRun with VRG and VDCA, Victory Lane, Vol 23, No. 10, October 2008" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-27. Retrieved 2009-03-01.
- "Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix Association: Schenley Park Races & Car Shows". Archived from the original on 2008-11-23. Retrieved 2009-03-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix.|