Dapper Dan Charities
The Dapper Dan Charities were founded by Pittsburgh Post-Gazette editor Al Abrams in 1936. It is one of the oldest non-profit and fundraising community sports club in the world, and the oldest in Western Pennsylvania. The foundations fundraises for its charities primarily through the annual "Dapper Dan Banquet". Started in 1936 the first few banquets honored such regional figures as Art Rooney, Jock Sutherland and John Harris. In 1939 the banquet began an annual tradition of naming the region's "Sportsman of the Year" and in 1999 the "Sportswoman of the Year". In recent decades all charitable contributions raised by the banquet go to the Boys and Girls club of Western Pennsylvania, which directly funds activities and equipment for nearly 7,000 youths annually. The organization also presently sponsors the annual Dapper Dan Wrestling Classic.
Previous fundraisers included the occasional Dapper Dan Open golf tournament in the 1930s and 1940s, World Heavyweight Titles hosted at Forbes Field in the 1950s and 1960s and the Roundball Classic hosted at the Civic Arena from 1965 until the 1980s.
Through Pittsburgh Pirates broadcaster Bob Prince's friendship with Fred Hutchinson the Dapper Dan Charity awarded Major League Baseball's annual Hutch Award at the annual banquet until at least 1993.
Dapper Dan awards
|1939||Billy Conn||boxing||William Penn Hotel |
|1940||Fritzie Zivic||boxing||William Penn |
|1941||Aldo Donelli||Steelers||William Penn |
|1942||Bill Dudley||Steelers||William Penn |
|1943||Rip Sewell||Pirates||William Penn |
|1944||Frankie Frisch||Pirates||William Penn |
|1945||Billy Conn||boxing||William Penn |
|1946||Bill Dudley||Steelers||William Penn |
|1947||Ralph Kiner||Pirates||William Penn |
|1948||Bill Meyer||Pirates||William Penn |
|1949||Ralph Kiner||Pirates||William Penn |
|1950||Joe Geri||Steelers||William Penn |
|1951||Murry Dickson||Pirates||William Penn |
|1952||Red Dawson||Panthers||William Penn |
|1952||Stan Musial||Cardinals||William Penn |
|1953||Lew Worsham||golf||William Penn |
|1954||Dudley Moore||Dukes||William Penn |
|1955||John Michelosen||Steelers||William Penn |
|1956||Dale Long||Pirates||Penn-Sheraton |
|1957||Dick Groat||Pirates||Penn-Sheraton |
|1958||Danny Murtaugh||Pirates||Penn-Sheraton |
|1959||Elroy Face||Pirates||Hilton |
|1960||Arnold Palmer||golf||Hilton |
|1960||Dick Groat||Pirates||Hilton |
|1961||Roberto Clemente||Pirates||Hilton |
|1962||Lou Michaels||Steelers||Hilton |
|1964||Delvin Miller||horse racing|
|1965||Vernon Law||Pirates||Hilton |
|1979||Willie Stargell||Pirates||Stan Musial||Cardinals||Hilton|
|1981||Jackie Sherrill||Panthers||Art Rooney||Steelers||Hilton |
|1982||Joe Paterno||Lions||Joe Schmidt||Pitt||Hilton|
|1983||Dan Marino||Panthers||Franco Harris||Steelers||Hilton|
|1985||Louis Lipps||Steelers||Bill Dudley ||Steelers||Hilton|
|1989||Roger Kingdom||Panthers (track)||Hilton|
|1992||Bill Cowher||Steelers||Hilton |
|1999||Mario Lemieux||Penguins||Suzie McConnell-Serio||Rockers/Oakland Catholic||Dan Marino||Pitt||Hilton|
|2000||Jason Kendall||Pirates||Dori Anderson||Blackhawk High||Mike Ditka||Aliquippa||Hilton|
|2001||Kordell Stewart||Steelers||Carol Semple Thompson||golf||Chuck Noll||Steelers||Hilton|
|2002||Ben Howland||Panthers||Swin Cash||UConn Huskies||Lanny Frattare||Pirates||Hilton|
|2003||Larry Fitzgerald||Panthers||Kelly Mazzante||Lady Lions||The 1979 Champion Teams||Pirates
|2004||Ben Roethlisberger||Steelers||Lauryn Williams||olympics||Arnold Palmer||Golf||Convention Center|
|2005||Jerome Bettis||Steelers||Agnus Berenato||Panthers||Joe Paterno||Penn State||Hilton|
|2006||Sidney Crosby||Penguins||Swin Cash||Detroit Shock||Dan Rooney||Steelers||Convention Center|
|2007||Sidney Crosby||Penguins||Agnus Benerato||Panthers||(None bestowed)||Convention Center|
|2008||Mike Tomlin||Steelers||Shavonte Zellous||Panthers||Dick LeBeau||Football||Petersen Events Center|
|2009||Evgeni Malkin||Penguins||Penn State Volleyball||Lions||Bruno Sammartino||wrestling||Petersen Events Center |
|2010||Jamie Dixon||Panthers ||Suzie McConnell-Serio||Dukes||Joe Greene||Steelers||Convention Center |
|2011||Dan Bylsma, Marc-Andre Fleury||Penguins||Pittsburgh Passion||Women's football||Mike Ditka||Panthers||Convention Center|
|2012||Andrew McCutchen||Pirates||Taylor Schram||PSU Women's soccer||Hines Ward||Steelers||Convention Center|
|2013||Clint Hurdle||Pirates||Patrice Matamoros||Pittsburgh Marathon||Franco Harris||Steelers||Convention Center|
|2014||Antonio Brown||Steelers||Christa Harmotto||Penn State (Volleyball)||Jim Kelly||Football ||Convention Center|
|2015||Antonio Brown||Steelers||Meghan Klingenberg||United States women's national soccer team||Dick Groat||Pitt basketball (broadcasting)||Convention Center|
|2016||Mike Sullivan and Jim Rutherford||Penguins||Amanda Polk||Oakland Catholic/Olympics||Rocky Bleier||Steelers ||Convention Center|
Various years the Dapper Dan Banquet has been a who's who of Western Pennsylvania sports, and attracted national and even international stars and entertainers. In 1993 George Wendt and David Lander hosted the event. Howard Baldwin, Craig Patrick, Lanny Frattare, Marty Schottenheimer, Rod Woodson, Ambassador Dan Rooney, Art Rooney, Mark May, John Brown, Sal Sunseri, Hank Aaron, Myron Cope, Lou Holtz, Terry Francona, Pat Mullins, Dave Robinson, Len Dawson, Lou Groza, Bud Wilkinson, Bob Prince, Governor Lawrence and Todd Blackledge have all participated in recent events.
- "Dapper Dan Wrestling Classic". Wrestlingclassic.com. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- "Dapper Dan Dinner Set at Hilton Feb .3: Big Sports Party to Hit Town for 27th Anniversary". The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. December 12, 1962. Retrieved 2015-06-23. "The coming Dapper Dan Dinner will mark the fourth year in succession that it has been held in the huge Hilton Ball Room. The previous 23 fetes were staged at the old William Penn Hotel, later the Penn-Sheraton."
- "Mean Joe Star of Dapper Dan Weekend". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. February 8, 1975. p. 10. Retrieved November 8, 2016.
- Finder, Chuck (2008-04-02). "Dapper Dan: Crosby, Berenato humble winners - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette". Post-gazette.com. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- Dvorchak, Robert (2009-02-15). "2009 Dapper Dan Awards: Mike Tomlin & Shavonte Zellous". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
- Dvorchak, Robert (2010-03-26). "Dapper Dan: Malkin, Sammartino, Penn State volleyball claim awards - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette". Post-gazette.com. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- Fittipaldo, Ray (2010-12-26). "Dapper Dan Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year: Jamie Dixon and Suzie McConnell-Serio - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette". Post-gazette.com. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- Sanserino, Michael (2010-12-05). "Dapper Dan Dinner: Ganassi chosen for new award 2011 - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette". Post-gazette.com. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- Anderson, Shelly (2012-01-22). "Dapper Dan 76th Honorees: Bylsma, Fleury, Passion headline 2012 dais". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
- Sanserino, Michael (2012-01-01). "Dapper Dan Honors - Ditka, doctor to receive awards". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
- "McCutchen honored as Dapper Dan Sportsman of the Year". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. December 30, 2012.
- Brink, Bill (2013-12-21). "Pirates manager Hurdle humbled by pick for Dapper Dan - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette". Post-gazette.com. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- Werner, Sam (2013-12-21). "Dapper Dan Sportswoman gave marathon new life as director - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette". Post-gazette.com. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- Fittipaldo, Ray (2014-02-01). "Dapper Dan: Franco Harris a player for all times - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette". Post-gazette.com. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- Menendez, Jenn (2016-02-18). "Dapper Dan awardee Dick Groat savors another moment in spotlight". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2017-02-17.