|Single by Eric Prydz|
|from the album Eric Prydz Presents Pryda|
|Released||25 August 2008|
|Format||CD single, DVD single, 7" vinyl, digital download|
|Label||Pryda, Data Records\Data, Ultra|
|Eric Prydz singles chronology|
"Pjanoo" (Swedish pronunciation: [ˈpjɑːnʊ]) is a keyboard-based house track by the Swedish DJ and producer Eric Prydz. It has received moderate airplay amongst British radio stations, being heavily used by BBC Radio 1 in advertisements for their "Radio 1 Big Weekend" and "Weekend in Ibiza" events. The single peaked at number six on the Swedish Singles Chart. "Pjanoo" found success outside Sweden, particularly in the United Kingdom, where it peaked at number two on the UK Singles Chart and topped the country's Dance chart for ten non-consecutive weeks.
Background and release
The song has been on promotional release since 17 March 2008 with Eric Prydz's own label, Pryda, with a limited number of 12" pressings available on special order. The song was released on 25 August 2008 by Ministry of Sound's Imprint Label, Data Records.
Prydz stated: "I played it in a club in northern UK in 2006. Didn't get the reaction I thought I would, so I didn't play it for years until I found the CD while playing at 'Ambasadeur' club in Stockholm. Played it for fun again and it went off. Someone filmed it and it ended up on YouTube. The rest is history."
British drum and bass producer High Contrast has made a successful drum and bass remix of "Pjanoo" and was released by Data Records on 26 August 2008 with a track length of 7:43. The piano riff was inspired by the piano in Patrice Rushen's song "I Was Tired of Being Alone".
A cowboy in the Old West has a fistful of dollars but he can't find a drink anywhere because the temperature is over 40 °C / 104 °F. He finds an old pub named Pjanoo, and goes into the pub to find a drink. Then an old piano plays by itself, and the cowboy finds two shrunken Native Americans who provide a rain dance, causing rain to fall very heavily. A water tap has water running and the cowboy runs to the tap to have a drink, and then runs out of the pub.
Formats and track listing
- 12" Vinyl Promo (Pryda 11)
- CD maxi
- "Pjanoo" (Radio Edit) - 2:37
- "Pjanoo" (Club Mix) - 7:31
- "Pjanoo" (High Contrast Remix) - 7:04
- "Pjanoo" (Afterlife Mix) - 5:38
- "Pjanoo" (Fred Falke Mix) - 6:24
- "Pjanoo" (Guy J Remix) - 7:43
- CD single
- "Pjanoo" (Radio Edit) – 2:37
- "Pjanoo" (Afterlife Radio Edit) – 2:50
- iTunes Single
- "Pjanoo" (Radio Edit) – 2:37
- "Pjanoo" (Dana Bergquist and Peder G Remix) – 9:03
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||22|
|Belgian (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||8|
|Belgian (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||14|
|Czech Republic (Rádio Top 100)||9|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||34|
|Hungary (Dance Top 40)||23|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||4|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||31|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||2|
|UK Dance Chart||1|
Use in popular culture
- Used frequently as an anthem at sports events, specifically during halftime of Knicks games in Madison Square Garden.
- Heard in the nightclub in the episode "Night Out In London" of the British sitcom The Inbetweeners
- Mixed with the songs "Shout" by Tears for Fears and "Somebody Told Me" by The Killers in the video game DJ Hero
- Club mixed version used in the first trailer for the video game Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony, and available on the in-game radio station Vladivostok FM
- The Cascada song "Fever" has parts loosely based upon "Pjanoo"
- Used by the BBC in television advertisements for Sport Relief 2010
- Used by Sky Sports as the theme for their coverage of test cricket
- A sample is used in short clips of the German TV magazine Stern TV
- It was heard on an episode of British sitcom Coming of Age.
- Piano riff is used in Blank & Jones Remix of "I Don't Want to Be a Hero" by Johnny Hates Jazz
- The YouTuber "Zeb89AceGamer" used this song as intro for his videos.
- "Austriancharts.at – Eric Prydz – Pjanoo" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Pjanoo", in various singles charts Lescharts.com (Retrieved 27 March 2009)
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 20092 into search.
- "Lescharts.com – Eric Prydz – Pjanoo" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Eric Prydz Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Dance Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved 2010-12-09.
- "Pjanoo", in various singles charts Acharts.us (Retrieved 27 March 2009)
- "Spanishcharts.com – Eric Prydz – Pjanoo" Canciones Top 50.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Eric Prydz – Pjanoo". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Eric Prydz – Pjanoo". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2008-09-06" UK Singles Chart.