Plastic colorants are chemical compounds used to color plastic. Those compounds come in a form of dyes and pigments. The type of a colorant is chosen based on the type of a polymeric resin, that needs to be colored. Dyes are usually used with polycarbonates, polystyrene and acrylic polymers. Pigments are better suited for use with polyolefins. 
The colorant must satisfy various constraints, for example, the compound must be chemically compatible with the base resin, be a suitable match with a color standard (see e.g. International Color Consortium), be chemically stable, which in this case means being able to survive the stresses and processing temperature (heat stability) in the fabrication process and be durable enough to match the life duration of the product.
Different methods for delivering colorants in molding plastics include masterbatches (concentrates), a method which, which involves a concentrate being separated into resin, cube blends ("salt & pepper mixes" - dry blending) which are natural polymers, already sprayed into natural polymers, surface coating, and precolored resins, which involve using precolored materials to make manufacturing cheaper.
|Diarylide pigment||azo dye||pigment|
|Sudan stain||azo dye||dye|
|Oil Blue A||anthraquinone||dye|
|Disperse Red 11||anthraquinone||dye|
- Nishikants (2013-06-28). "Plastic colorant and its role in plastic industry". Share and Discover Knowledge on LinkedIn SlideShare. Retrieved 2017-07-18.
- "Plastic Colorants Guide for Injection Molded Parts". RevPart. 2016-01-26. Retrieved 2017-07-18.
- Sepe, Michael (2012-01-28). "Working with Color Concentrates". Plastics Technology. Retrieved 2017-07-18.
- "Colorants for Plastic Industry,Dyes for Plastics Industry,Pigments for Plastics Industry". Dyes and Pigments, Dyes Manufacturers, Dyes Intermediates, Pigments Suppliers, Wholesale Dyes Intermediates. Retrieved 2017-07-18.
- "Methods of Coloring Plastics". RTP Company. Retrieved 2017-07-18.
- "Effect of coloring methods on properties of plastics". Polyplastics.com. Retrieved 2017-07-18.