Platform for Catalonia
|Platform for Catalonia
Plataforma per Catalunya (Catalan)
|Founded||5 April 2002|
|Headquarters||10 Jacint Verdaguer St. 08500 Vic, Barcelona|
|Local Government (Catalonia)||
8 / 9,077
|Politics of Catalonia
Plataforma per Catalunya (PxC; English: Platform for Catalonia) is a Spanish nationalist political party rooted in Catalonia, Spain, which centres its political agenda around controlling immigration. It is strongly anti-Islamic, and is widely considered a racist, xenophobic far-right political force. Its leader is Josep Anglada, town councillor in Vic. The PxC have 67 representatives in municipalities in Catalonia, often in cities with tensions between locals and immigrants. They have not had any representatives at provincial, regional or national level.
At their 2008 Congress, the PxC invited the Vlaams Belang of Belgium and the Lega Nord of Italy to attend. In 2012, a senior PxC member congratulated the Golden Dawn of Greece on their general election results.
Anglada started the party on 15 January 2001 as the Plataforma Vigatana (Platform for Vic). The PxC entered their first municipal elections in 2003, winning one seat in five respective cities. Cervera in Lleida province gave the largest percentage to the party, at 9.2%.
In the 2010 Catalan parliamentary election they received 2.4% of votes, falling 15,000 votes short of entering Parliament.
In the 2011 local elections, PxC got 65,905 votes, and grew from 17 to 67 councillors. Two were elected in Hospitalet de Llobregat, Catalonia's second-largest city. Three were elected in Santa Coloma de Gramanet, which along with the two in Hospitalet constitute the PxC's first representation in Greater Barcelona. Mataró, in Barcelona province, had the highest percentage voting for the party (10.49%, 3 seats). In Vic, the PxC grew from four to five councillors, making them the city's second-largest party after Convergence and Union.
In 2012, Anglada announced the launch of the Plataforma por la Libertad (PxL, English: Platform for Freedom), an expansion of the party into the rest of Spain. Anglada and the PxL have protested against the construction of mosques in Spain.
- Anglada: "Being populist and identitarian is being honestly democratic" Minuto Digital (Spanish)
- Anglada: "We don't want Muslims, neither in Catalonia nor in Spain" - PxC
- 27-M.- El partido xenófobo Plataforma per Catalunya triplica el número de concejales, Europa Press, 28 May 2007.(Spanish)
- PSC y CiU descartan cualquier tipo de acuerdo con la xenófoba Plataforma per Catalunya,La Vanguardia, 28 May 2007 (Spanish).
- CiU salva el presupuesto en Vic gracias a la abstención de un grupo xenófobo, El País, 3 March 2005 (Spanish).
- Un manifiesto alerta del racismo de Plataforma per Catalunya, El Periodico de Catalunya, 24 May 2007 (Spanish).