Pombas, Cape Verde
|Pombas, Cape Verde|
|Civil parish||Santo António das Pombas|
Pombas (Cape Verdean Creole: Pónbas) is a city in the northeastern part of the island of Santo Antão, Cape Verde. It is the seat of the municipality Paul. It is situated on the coast, at the mouth of the Ribeira do Paul, 6 kilometres (4 miles) southeast of Ribeira Grande and 15.2 kilometres (9.4 miles) north of the island capital Porto Novo. Other distance is nearly 290 kilometres (180 miles) northwest of the capital, Praia. The city is named after the nearby slope feature Faj das Pombas and is near Ribeira do Paul. The city forms a part of Cova-Ribeira da Torre-Paul Natural Park.
The village is on the road linking Ribeira Grande, Paul and Porto Novo via the easternmost point which opened in 2009. The urban center are made up of several colonial style buildings, the San António (Saint Anthony) church located above sea level
Once a town, the town was elevated to a city in 2010.
The population grew between 1991 and 2005, recently most of the population especially rural either moved to Mindelo, some moved to Porto Novo or Praia.
The city's most popular festival is the festival of Saint Anthony, the patron saint celebrated each year on June 13. The festival features traditional colá music.
Paulense Desportivo Clube has its headquarters at nearby Campo de Coqueiral in the north of Pombas, it is the main sports club of the North Zone and being the oldest. Another club is Irmãos Unidos which is centered in Pombas, a lesser club who competed in its first North Zone competition in 2012 and is part of the regional Second Division today, the club area covers the entire Paul Valley.
- "2010 Census results". Instituto Nacional de Estatística Cabo Verde (in Portuguese). 17 March 2014.
- Elevation of Pombas Into a City, law 77/VII/2010, published in B. O., no. 32, Series I August 23, 2010 (Portuguese)
- Cape Verdean INE census of June 23, 1991
- Cape Verdean INE census of June 16, 2001
- Estimate, highest recorded population reached
- INE census of 2010
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vila das Pombas.|
- García, Jesús (2009) El mundo a tu aire: Cabo Verde. Edic. Gaesa, Madrid, ISBN 978-84-8023-685-0