- 1788 – A settlement is established at Parramatta, west of Sydney, New South Wales.
- 1873 – English-born explorer William Gosse departs Alice Springs on an expedition to Central Australia, during which he names Ayers Rock.
- 1874 – Explorer Alfred Gibson disappears on Ernest Giles' second expedition to the deserts of Western Australia, resulting in the naming of the Gibson Desert.
- 1966 – Jim Stynes, an Australian rules footballer and later charity worker, is born in Dublin in the Republic of Ireland.
- 2005 – Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen (pictured), the longest serving Premier of Queensland, dies at the age of 94 in Kingaroy, Queensland.