Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1854 – The Eureka Flag was flown for the first time during the Eureka Stockade rebellion in Ballarat.
- 1948 – The first Holden car, the model 48-215, popularly known as the FX, rolls off the assembly line and is launched by Prime Minister Ben Chifley. The on road cost was approximately £760.
- 1967 – The first Australian satellite, WRESAT, is launched from Woomera, South Australia.
- 1980 – In Queensland, the National Party government of Joh Bjelke-Petersen is re-elected.
- 1982 – Thomas Keneally is the first Australian winner of the Booker Prize for Schindler's Ark.
- 1988 – The four acts granting the Australian Capital Territory self-government are given royal assent.
- 1990 – Treasurer Paul Keating announces that Australia is experiencing an economic recession.
- 1997 – In what has come to be known as the Iran game, the Socceroos draw 2–2 with Iran at the Melbourne Cricket Ground after leading 2–0. Iran qualifies for the 1998 FIFA World Cup on the away goals rule.