|Category:Rail transport timelines
- 1819 – James Foster and John Urpeth Rastrick partner to form Foster, Rastrick and Company, the English firm that built the first steam locomotives for the Delaware and Hudson Railroad.
- 2002 – In the Igandu train disaster, a large passenger train in Tanzania with over 1,200 people on board rolls backwards down a hill into a stationary goods train, killing 281 people.
- 1811 – Hezekiah C. Seymour, chief engineer for Ontario, Huron and Lake Simcoe Railroad, is born (d. 1853).
- 1839 – Gustavus Franklin Swift, founder of Swift and Company which pioneered the use of refrigerator cars in late 19th century America, is born (d. 1903)
- 1851 – Stuyvesant Fish, president of the Illinois Central Railroad 1887–1907, is born (d. 1923).