January • February • March • April • May • June • July • August • September • October • November • December
- 1833 – Chicago was founded.
- 1851 – Isaac Singer granted a patent for his sewing machine.
- 1898 – Armistice ends the Spanish–American War.
- 1898 – The Hawaiian flag is lowered from ʻIolani Palace in an elaborate annexation ceremony and replaced with the American flag to signify the transfer of sovereignty from the Republic of Hawai`i to the United States.
- 1908 – First Model T Ford built.
- 1925 – The first cast of Alpha Psi Omega, drawn from The Masquers of Fairmont College, West Virginia, was initiated.
- 1943 – Alleged date of the first Philadelphia Experiment test on United States Navy ship USS Eldridge.
- 1960 – Echo I, the first communications satellite, launched.
- 1977 – The first free flight of the Space Shuttle Enterprise.
- 1981 – The IBM Personal Computer is released.
- 1990 – Sue, the most complete skeleton of a Tyrannosaurus rex, is discovered near Faith, South Dakota.
- 1992 – Canada, Mexico, and the United States announce completion of negotiations for the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
- 1994 – Major League Baseball players go on strike. The work stoppage forces the cancellation of the 1994 World Series.
- 2004 – New Jersey Gov. James McGreevey comes out publicly as a gay man.
- 2005 – An F2 tornado strikes the coal mining town of Wright, Wyoming, destroying nearly 100 homes and killing two people.
- 2005 – An F1 tornado strikes Glen Cove, New York, a rare event on Long Island