Portland and Southwestern Railroad Tunnel
|Location||Columbia County, Oregon, USA|
|Nearest city||Scappoose, Oregon|
|Architect||Chapman Timber Co.; Nehalem Timber & Logging Co.|
|NRHP reference No.||81000481|
|Added to NRHP||August 17, 1981|
The Portland and Southwestern Railroad Tunnel, also known as the Nehalem Divide Railroad Tunnel, is an abandoned railroad tunnel near Scappoose, Oregon, United States, that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The tunnel was driven by the Portland and Southwestern Railroad, whose chief business was logging. Unusually for a logging railroad, the Portland and Southwestern built tunnels. In order to reach the far side of the Nehalem divide in the Northern Oregon Coast Range, the railroad undertook a 1,712-foot (522 m) tunnel. Some work was started in 1910, but most work began in 1918 and was completed in 1919. Since the tunnel was not through solid rock, the tunnel was lined with timber. The tunnel was used until 1945, when it was replaced by a truck road over the divide.
While portions of the tunnel roof have collapsed, the tunnel is still open from end to end.
The west portal is located at ; the east portal is at .
- List of bridges on the National Register of Historic Places in Oregon
- List of tunnels documented by the Historic American Engineering Record in Oregon
- "Oregon National Register List" (PDF). Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. June 6, 2011. p. 6. Retrieved June 17, 2012.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- "Portland & Southwestern Railroad and the Nehalem Divide Tunnel". Abandoned Railroads of the Pacific Northwest. Brian McCamish. November 1, 2008.
- "brian894x4 topo map plot". Retrieved March 5, 2009.
- Portland & Southwestern Railroad and the Nehalem Divide Tunnel
- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) No. OR-3, "Portland & Southwestern Railroad Tunnel, Willamette Meridian, Chapman, Columbia County, OR", 17 photos, 15 data pages, 2 photo caption pages
- Portland & Southwestern Railroad (Nehalem Divide) Tunnel Photos