Pots of Gold
|Pots of Gold|
|Also known as|
|Written by||Ha Chung-ok|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||50|
|Executive producer||Yoon Jae-moon|
|Production company||Victory Contents|
|Original network||Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation|
|Original release||April 6 –|
September 22, 2013
Pots of Gold (Korean: 금 나와라, 뚝딱!; RR: Geum Nawara, Ddookddak!; lit. I Summon You, Gold! or Gold, Appear!) is a 2013 South Korean television series starring Han Ji-hye, Yeon Jung-hoon, Lee Tae-sung, Lee Soo-kyung, Baek Jin-hee, Park Seo-joon and Kim Hyung-jun. It aired on MBC from April 6 to September 22, 2013 on Saturdays and Sundays at 20:40 for 50 episodes.
Mong-hee and Yoo-na are two different women who look exactly the same, so much so they could be twins. Mong-hee is a cheerful and hardworking street vendor who sells accessories and dreams of becoming a jewelry designer. On the other hand, Yoo-na is the cold daughter-in-law of a wealthy chaebol family.
Yoo-na has just gone through a divorce with Park Hyun-soo. Hyun-soo's parents own a jewelry company, which he is due to inherit as the eldest son. But his younger brother Hyun-joon wants the CEO position for himself, and he schemes to gain control of the family business, along with his wife, Sung-eun, a successful jewelry designer. When Hyun-soo meets Mong-hee, he gets a real chance to find love and happiness, but the fact that she looks exactly like his ex-wife might become a problem, as he asks her to pose as his wife. Mong-hee soon finds herself caught up in a power struggle within the Park family and also discovers the tragedy behind her and Yoo-na's births.
- Han Ji-hye as Jung Mong-hee / Son Yoo-na
- A gifted jewelry designer, Mong-hee is the eldest child of Jung Byung-hoo and Yoon Shim-deok. Due to her family's precarious financial situation and having two younger siblings, she was forced to drop out of college so that her siblings could attend. She meets the Park family as her mother is a long-time employee of their company and soon uncovers the tragic secret behind her and Yoo-na's births.
- Yoo-na is the wife of Park Hyun-soo. She is a chaebol heiress who was arranged to marry him in a politically and financially-motivated union. Having grown up in a wealthy but uncaring environment, she has difficulty empathizing with others and her cold and aloof mannerisms puts off those around her, leading to her feeling lonely and depressed.
- Yeon Jung-hoon as Park Hyun-soo
- The eldest son of Park Soon-sang who is due to succeed his father as the CEO. His biological mother Jin-sook (Soon-sang's ex-wife) was thrown out of the house for allegedly having an extramarital affair and Hyun-soo grew up under his father's live-in mistress and de facto stepmother Jang Deok-hee, the domineering and manipulative biological mother of his younger half-brother Hyun-joon.
- Lee Tae-sung as Park Hyun-joon
- The ambitious son of Soon-sang and Deok-hee who works for the family company. He and his wife were constantly scheming of ways to take over the company from Hyun-soo. Being an illegitimate child, he always felt like he was in the shadows of his older brother and tries hard to win his father's approval. His ambitious mother would stop at nothing in pressuring him to climb up the ladder at work but unlike her, Hyun-joon also values his relationship with his brothers and his marriage to Sung-eun and has to toe a very thin line between power and family.
- Lee Soo-kyung as Min Sung-eun
- Mong-hee's rival from their college days and Head of Design at her husband's family company. She had been harboring a secret from her husband and Mong-hee's appearance could mean that the secret would be exposed.
- Baek Jin-hee as Jung Mong-hyun
- The youngest of Byung-hoo and Shim-deok's three children. She initially dates wealthy playboy Hyun-tae merely to satisfy her mother's desire for her to marry into a chaebol family but they eventually fall in love and get married. Her kind nature and simple lifestyle contrasts starkly with that of her sophisticated and often aloof sisters-in-law.
- Park Seo-joon as Park Hyun-tae
- The carefree and happy-go-lucky youngest son of Park Soon-sang. His biological mother Min Young-ae, another of Sang-soon's mistresses, chose to send him to live with his father for financial reasons and better prospects. While growing up he learned to keep a low profile so that he won't be thrown out by Deok-hee, who despises him and treats him coldly. He is coddled by his father and older brothers and longs to experience life outside of the wealthy upper-class circle that his family belongs to.
- Kim Hyung-jun as Jung Mong-kyu
- Byung-hoo and Shim-deok's only son who has graduated from college but is still jobless. Much to his parents' chagrin, he continues to be half-hearted and directionless when job-hunting and relies on his mother for pocket money. Eventually circumstances force him to take responsibility for his own actions.
- Mong-hee's family
- Choi Myung-gil as Yoon Shim-deok
- Kil Yong-woo as Jung Byung-hoo, Shim-deok's husband
- Ban Hyo-jung as Kim Pil-nyeo, Byung-hoo's mother
- Choi Ju-bong as Jung Pan-geum, husband of Pil-nyeo
- Kim Ji-young as Choi Kwang-soon, Shim-deok's mother
- Kim Kwang-kyu as Jung Byung-dal, Byung-hoo's younger brother
- Jo Eun-sook as Haeng-ja, Byung-dal's wife
- Kim Dan-yul as Jung Doo-ri, Byung-dal and Haeng-ja's son
- Hyun-soo's family
- Han Jin-hee as Park Soon-sang, family patriarch and CEO of Noble Diamond
- Lee Kyung-jin as Jin-sook, Hyun-soo's biological mother and Soon-sang's first wife
- Lee Hye-sook as Jang Deok-hee, biological mother of Soon-sang's second son Hyun-joon who is constantly scheming of ways to secure power and helping her son get ahead
- Geum Bo-ra as Min Young-ae, biological mother of Soon-sang's third son Hyun-tae who is "frenemies" with her rival Deok-hee
- Extended cast
- Park Min-ha as Jin Ah-ram
- Han Bo-reum as Lee Min-ah
- Kim Da-hyun as Jin Sang-chul
- Kim Ye-won as Kwak Min-jung, Mong-kyu's girlfriend
Awards and nominations
|2013||20's Booming Star - Female||Baek Jin-hee||Nominated|
|Best New Actor||Park Seo-joon||Won|
|Excellence Award, Actress||Han Ji-hye||Nominated|
|Best New Actor||Park Seo-joon||Nominated|
|Drama of the Year||Pots of Gold||Nominated|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Serial Drama||Han Ji-hye||Won|
|Excellence Award, Actor in a Serial Drama||Yeon Jung-hoon||Won|
|Golden Acting Award, Actress||Choi Myung-gil||Nominated|
|Best New Actor||Park Seo-joon||Nominated|
|Lifetime Achievement Award||Han Jin-hee||Won|
- Lee, Sun-min (March 21, 2013). "Yeon Jung-hoon returns to network". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- "Pots of Gold (working title) MBC's New Weekend Drama". MBC Global Media. April 16, 2013. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- MacDonald, Joan (March 25, 2013). "Gold Appear Takes On Money, Love And Marriage". KDramaStars. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Lee, Cory (December 31, 2013). "Ha Ji-won Receives Top Honor at 2013 MBC Drama Awards". TenAsia. Archived from the original on March 28, 2014. Retrieved January 30, 2014.
- "I summon you, Gold บ้านป่วนก๊วนไฮโซ – ซีรีย์เกาหลี". korea.tlcthai.com (in Thai). September 2, 2015.