Poway High School
|Poway High School|
|15500 Espola Road
Poway, California, San Diego 92064
United States of America
|Motto||Faithful Titans we will be through the years to you|
|School district||Poway Unified|
|Grades||9th – 12th grade|
|Medium of language||English|
|School color(s)||Emerald Green and Grey|
|Fight song||Sons of Westwood|
|Rival||Rancho Bernardo High School|
|Website||Poway High School|
Poway High School is a four-year secondary school in southern California accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Established in 1961, its approximately 2,408 students are from the suburban communities of Poway and Rancho Bernardo, north of the city of San Diego. The school has curricula for university-bound, college-bound, and vocation-bound graduates. About 1% of the high school's graduates join the military, 3% get civilian employment; 1% enroll in special schools, 37% enroll in two-year colleges, and 54% go to four-year colleges and universities. Some of its alumni are famous athletes.
The high school has a campus with several buildings. Elective course offerings include agriculture, floral design, architectural design, and computer animation. Other activities include automobile repair and design, choir, marching band, and photography. Its athletic teams are called the Titans. It has a Theatre Guild.
The four-year secondary school is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. It has approximately 2,408 students and employs 90 teachers, 62 support staff, 4 administrators, 4 counselors, 1 psychologist and 1 librarian. The length of its class periods vary and add to 297 minutes per week. Every Monday is a "professional growth day", with 48-minute periods. 2 days a week, periods are 57 minutes and 114 minutes another 2 days a week.
The school was established in September 1961 to be the first of five high schools for the Poway Unified School District. The general population in the district reached about 186,195 in 2014, of which about 33,000 were students, including kindergarten through the twelfth grade. The students of Poway High School are from the suburban communities of Poway and Rancho Bernardo which are 15 miles northeast of the City of San Diego.
Students take required classes in English, Social Science, Mathematics, Physical Science, Biological Science, Health, Physical Education, and Fine Arts. They must pass the CAHSEE in English Language Arts and Mathematics. They also take a required amount of elective classes. There are three majors: University-bound, College-bound, and high school graduation. The last take electives based on their vocational interests. There are advanced placement, honors, and occupational courses. There are also English language and remedial courses.
In the 2012-2013 Poway students scored higher than the national means on the SAT test, 784 students took AP exams and 4 were National Merit semi-finalists. Student pursuits following graduation have been: 5% in the military, 3% full-time employment; 1% in special schools, 37% in two-year colleges and 54% four-year colleges and universities.
- Albrey Battle – gridiron football player
- Jud Buechler – basketball player
- Tom DeLonge – guitarist/vocalist of Blink-182, Box Car Racer, and Angels and Airwaves
- Tony Gwynn Jr. – baseball player
- Charley Hoffman – PGA Tour Member. Won the 2007 Bob Hope Chrysler Classic, the 2010 Deutsche Bank Championship, the 2014 OHL Classic at Mayakoba, and the 2016 Valero Texas Open.
- Bobby Lee – Comedian on MADtv.
- Hector Maldonado – musician (bass/vocals/guitar/percussion)
- Kevin Newman – baseball player
- Phil Plantier – baseball player
- Brian Rast – professional poker player
- Jesse Taylor – wrestler; currently a professional mixed martial artist
- Darshan Upadhyaya – League of Legends professional player
- Drew Wahlroos – linebacker for the St. Louis Rams.
- Marvell Wynne II – soccer player
- Alex Dickerson – outfielder for the San Diego Padres
- Stephanie Seymour - model[better source needed]
- Tyler Nevin - baseball player
- "Superintendent's Profile". Poway Unified School District.
- "PHS Staff Contacts". Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- "Poway High - Reports (CA Dept of Education)". Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "Feeder.pdf" (PDF). Poway Unified School District.
- Site Plan, Poway High School. Retrieved, 12:53 AM 8-18-14
- Poway High School, Google Maps. Retrieved, 12:58 AM 8-18-14
- About Poway High School, Retrieved, 12:39AM, 8-18-14
- Glae Thien. October 12, 2007 Poway rallies to stay unbeaten, Retrieved, 1:35 AM 8-18-14 San Diego, CA: The Union-Tribune
- Kevin Gemmell. January 22, 2006. Former Titans wrestler a natural fit coaching Slammers feeder program Retrieved, 1:35 AM 8-18-14 San Diego, CA: The Union-Tribune
- Boyce Garrison. December 30, 2007. Actions speak louder than words for Poway Retrieved, 1:35 AM 8-18-14 San Diego, CA: The Union-Tribune
- North County Times. Feb. 5, 2004 PHS Theatre Guild to perform 'Bus Stop' Retrieved, 1:50 AM 8-18-14 San Diego, CA: The Union-Tribune
- U-T. October 15, 2004. North Inland FYI . . . Poway High School Theatre Guild . . . Retrieved, 2:02 AM 8-18-14 San Diego, CA: The Union-Tribune
- Poway High School. 2014. General Information, School, Poway High School Profile, 2013-2014.
- Poway High School. 2014. An Overview, Poway High School Profile, 2013-2014.
- Poway High School. 2014. Community, Poway High School Profile, 2013-2014.
- Poway High School. 2014. Graduation Requirements, Poway High School Profile, 2013-2014.
- Poway High School. 2014. Curriculum, Poway High School Profile, 2013-2014.
- Poway High School. 2014. Academic Recognition, Poway High School Profile, 2013-2014.
- Poway High School. 2014. Post Secondary Pursuits, Poway High School Profile, 2013-2014.
- "Albrey Battle". all-xfl.com. Retrieved November 26, 2014.
-  Accessed June 19, 2008.
- Tony Gwynn Jr. Bio Accessed June 19, 2008
- Charley Hoffman Biography. Accessed October 3, 2009.
- 'Mad' man. San Diego Union Tribune, September 19, 2004. Accessed April 26, 2009.
- Michael Bower. "Prep baseball: Poway High's Newman commits to University of Arizona". Pomerado News. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
-  Accessed June 19, 2008
- "WSOP: Poway High grad Rast has chance at largest prize ($18.3M) in poker history". Pomerado News. Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- "MMA: Poway's Jesse Taylor seeks belt". U-T San Diego. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- Steven Asarch. "'League of Legends' CLG Manages To Beat Crowd Favorite TSM In NA LCS Finals". iDigitalTimes.com. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- Stephanie Seymour