Princess Marie Cécile of Prussia
28 May 1942|
Cadinen, Kreis Elbing
Duke Friedrich August of Oldenburg
(m. 1965; div. 1989)
Duke Paul-Wladimir |
|Father||Louis Ferdinand, Prince of Prussia|
|Mother||Grand Duchess Kira Kirillovna of Russia|
|Prussian Royal Family|
HRH Princess Cornelie-Cecile
Princess Marie-Cécile of Prussia (Marie-Cécile Kira Viktoria Luise; born 28 May 1942) is the daughter of Louis Ferdinand, Prince of Prussia, and his wife, Grand Duchess Kira Kirillovna of Russia. Her paternal grandparents were William, German Crown Prince, and Duchess Cecilie of Mecklenburg-Schwerin; maternally, she is a granddaughter of Cyril Vladimirovich, Grand Duke of Russia, and Princess Victoria Melita of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.
Marriage and children
In 1965 Princess Marie-Cécile married Duke Friedrich August of Oldenburg, who was working as an agricultural expert. They married in Berlin in a civil ceremony on 3 December 1965 and a religious ceremony the following day. Theirs was the first Hohenzollern marriage in Berlin since 1913.
Friedrich August and Marie-Cécile have three children, a son and two daughters:
- Duke Paul-Wladimir of Oldenburg (Paul-Wladimir Nikolaus Louis-Ferdinand Peter Max Karl-Emich; born 16 August 1969, Lübeck), married Maria del Pilar Méndez de Vigo y Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg (born 20 October 1970, Madrid; granddaughter of Karl, 8th Prince of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg) in a civil ceremony on 18 January 2001 in Wertheim, and a religious ceremony on 20 January 2001 in Bronnbach an der Tauber. They have four sons and one daughter:
- Duke Kirill of Oldenburg (Kirill Friedrich-August Jaime Cristobal Hermann Antonius Vincenz Josef Maria; born 13 June 2002, Berlin)
- Duke Carlos of Oldenburg (Carlos Jakobus Leo Wilfried Josef Maria; born 19 April 2004, Eutin)
- Duke Paul of Oldenburg (Paul Maria; born 8 September 2005)
- Duchess Maria Assunta of Oldenburg (born 21 March 2007)
- Duke Louis Ferdinand of Oldenburg (born 2012)
- Duchess Rixa of Oldenburg (Rixa Marie-Alix Kira Altburg; born 17 September 1970, Lübeck).
- Duchess Bibiane of Oldenburg (Bibiane Marie Alexandra Gertrud; born 24 June 1974, Oldenburg), married Peter Dorner (b. 19 February 1972 at Wasserburg am Inn) in Meran on 22 May 2004. They have one son and two daughters:
- Xenia Dorner born 2006
- Rixa Dorner born 2008
- Alexej Dorner born 2011
Marie-Cécile and Friedrich August divorced on 23 November 1989. In 1991 her ex-husband remarried Donata Countess of Castell-Rüdenhausen, the widow of Marie-Cécile's late brother, Prince Louis Ferdinand.
Marie-Cécile is in the line of succession to the British throne. As Catholics, her son and his children are not — and so her elder daughter, Rixa, follows her in the British line of succession, followed by her other daughter, Bibiane.
Titles and styles
- 28 May 1942 - 3 December 1965: Her Royal Highness Princess Marie Cécile of Prussia
- 3 December 1965 - 23 November 1989: Her Royal Highness Duchess Friedrich August of Oldenburg
- 23 November 1989 – present: Her Royal Highness Princess Marie Cécile of Prussia
- Lundy, Darryl. "Marie-Cécile Kira Viktoria Luise Prinzessin von Preußen". thePeerage.com. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- "Marie Cecilie of Prussia Wed In Berlin to Duke of Oldenburg". The New York Times. Berlin. 4 December 1965.
- Descendants of German Emperor Wilhelm I 188.8.131.52.3.1.5.
- Netty Royal News>Births>2012
Princess Marie Cécile of PrussiaBorn: May 28 1942
|Lines of succession|
Princess Irina of Prussia
| Line of succession to the British Throne
descended from Alfred, son of Victoria
Duchess Rixa of Oldenburg