A. K. M. Fazlul Haque (surgeon)
A. K. M. Fazlul Haque
Haque in 2016
একেএম ফজলুল হক
|Education||MBBS, Master of Surgery|
|Alma mater||Dhaka Medical College and Hospital|
|Spouse(s)||Shahin Mahbuba Haque|
|Children||Ashif Almas Haque |
Sakib Sarwat Haque
Haque passed Secondary School Certificate (SSC) from Jessore board at 1972. In 1974, he completed Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSC). In 1982, he completed his M.B.B.S degree from Dhaka Medical College. He was awarded Fellowship (FCPS) from Bangladesh College of Physician and Surgeons in January 1989.
- On Colorectal Surgery Trained from Singapore National University Hospital in 1994
- In 1995–96 completed intensive training from Singapore General Hospital for 1 (one) year.
- Observer Training on Colorectal surgery from Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, United States
- Observer Training on Colorectal surgery from Cleveland Clinic, United States
- Observer Training on Colorectal surgery from Mayo Clinic, United States
- Hepatobiliary Surgery & Colorectal Surgery from Singapore General Hospital.
- Member, American Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons
- Member, Endoscopic & Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia, ELSA, SINGAPORE
- Life Member, Bangladesh College of Physicians & Surgeons
- Life Member, Society of Surgeons of Bangladesh
- Life Member, Bangladesh Medical Association
Haque worked in government health service in Bangladesh starting from April 1982 until 2009. He practices absolutely restricted Colorectal Surgery since 1997. In last 17 years he has consulted nearly 6,50,000 (six lac fifty thousand) new patients and operated 3,35,000 (Three lac thirty five thousand) patients in private and government's hospital having Piles, Fistula, Anal Fissure, Colon and Rectal Cancer, Polyp, Rectal Prolapse & Diverticulitis. He does short or full colonoscopy himself routinely for most of the patient. He has attended many conferences at home and abroad. He has conducted few international workshops. He was a visiting faculty in Tribhubon University, Nepal. He performed successfully the highest number of operation worldwide for piles, fistula, anal fissure, colon cancer, rectum cancer.
Haque is the founder chairman of colorectal surgery in Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University. It may be specially mentioned that Professor Haque is the pioneer in colorectal Surgery in Bangladesh and the Subcontinent. He successfully initiated various modern surgeries of colon and rectum. Such as double stapling of rectum cancer, Longo operation for Haemorrhoid and successful operation of fistula after having frequent unsuccessful operations. Professor Haque popularised the idea of treating 70-80% of Haemorrhoid patients with the non-operation procedure such as Rubber Ring Ligation. He has taken the initiative to observe "World Piles & Colorectal Cancer Day" on 20 November in Bangladesh and internationally to increase public awareness. In 2006 he started "MS degree" in colorectal surgery in Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU). He has been practising the colorectal surgery for many years.
Haque is the first in the history of Bangladesh who directed international training course for senior foreign specialists in May’2008. Surgeons from Sri Lanka, Nepal, India and Maldives attended the international training program "Titled: Master program in MIPH". In this program, he trained them practically how to perform Longo operation skillfully without any trauma to the anal canal exterior.
Books and publications
Haque has written a book on colorectal surgery for public which is widely circulated. He has started few operations in Bangladesh for the first time namely Low anterior resection with double stapling, Longo operation and complex fistula operation with seton technique.
Haque's wife Shahin Mahbuba Haque is a professor of English. In addition to that, she is a singer as well as English news presenter of Bangladesh Television. His eldest son Ashif Almas Haque completed FCPS (surgery) and the younger one is Sakib Sarwat Haque.
- "Dr. Akm Fazlul Haque heads first colorectal surgery department in Bangladesh" (PDF). American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "BCPS Doctor's List".
- "Prof. Dr. A. K. M. Fazlul Haque Biography".
- "Society of Laparoscopic Surgeons of Bangladesh Life Members" (PDF).
- "Ophthalmological Society of Bangladesh (OSB) Life members". Archived from the original on 2016-10-30. Retrieved 2016-10-30.
- "Bangladesh Society for Study of Pain".
- "Bangladesh College of Physicians and Surgeons".
- "A modern operation for piles without any trauma".
- "New Horizon in Piles Treatment".
- "Surgical training on Longo operation begins".
- "Brehodantro, Paiupoth O Piles".
- "Treatment of piles without operation and pain".
- "The daily Jugantor". Archived from the original on 2016-10-30. Retrieved 2016-10-30.
- "An article in The daily Nayadiganta".