Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
বঙ্গবন্ধু শেখ মুজিব মেডিক্যাল বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়
|Institute of Postgraduate Medical Research (IPGMR)|
|Type||Public Medical University|
|Established||1965as PG Hospital, 1998 as Medical University|
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Md. Sharfuddin Ahmed|
|Director (Hospital)||Brig. Gen. Dr. Md. Nazrul Islam Khan|
23°44′20″N 90°23′41″E / 23.7389°N 90.3948°E
|Campus||Shahbag, Dhaka city|
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) is a graduate medical university in Bangladesh. It was established in 1965. The university offers postgraduate degrees only, not offering undergraduate medical or dental degrees.
Establishment of the Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University was an upgrade of the Institute of Postgraduate Medicine and Research (IPGMR). IPGMR was established in December 1965, as a Government-controlled postgraduate institute for medical research and studies. It was housed in the now defunct Hotel Shahbag, once the biggest hotel in Dhaka. The hotel got its name Shahbag from the name of the neighborhood.
From 2010, many of the medical and public health colleges/institutes have become affiliated to BSMMU. For example BIRDEM, BIHS, DMC, SSMC, NICVD, NITOR and others.
It was renamed as Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University by the Act 1, 1998 of Jatiyo Sangshad after the first President of Bangladesh, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
Library and publications
BSMMU has an academic library known as BSMMU Central Library, and a digital library. The university publishes a peer-reviewed medical journal, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University Journal. ISSN 2224-7750(online) 2074-2908 (print). It publishes 4 issue per year.
The institution's top leadership, the vice-chancellor, has had ten individuals since it began in 1998:
- M. A. Quadery (30 Apr 1998 - 9 Jan 2001)
- Md. Tahir (10 Jan 2001 - 17 May 2001)
- Mahmud Hasan (18 May 2001 - 23 Nov 2001)
- M. A. Mishu (24 Nov 2001 - 21 Dec 2006)
- Md. Tahir (21 Dec 2006 - 4 Nov 2008)
- Md. Nazrul Islam (5 Nov 2008 - 24 Mar 2009)
- Pran Gopal Datta (25 Mar 2009 – 24 Mar 2012)
- Pran Gopal Datta (25 Mar 2012 – 24 Mar 2015)
- Kamrul Hasan Khan (24 March 2015 – 23 Mar 2018)
- Kanak Kanti Barua (24 March 2018 –23 March 2021)
- Md. Sharfuddin Ahmed (29 March 2021–present) 
BSMMU campus has five multiple-floor buildings which house a variety of academic, medical, and residential spaces.[non-primary source needed]
Affiliated health sciences institutions
List of affiliated colleges/institutes under BSMMU:
- Armed Forces Medical Institute (AFMI), Dhaka
- Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical College, Faridpur
- Bangladesh Institute of Child Health (BICH), Dhaka
- Bangladesh Institute of Health Sciences
- Bangladesh Institute of Research & Rehabilitation in Diabetes, Endocrine & Metabolic Disorders (BIRDEM Academy), Dhaka
- Center for Medical Education (CME), Dhaka
- Dhaka Dental College, Dhaka
- Dhaka Medical College, Dhaka
- Enam Nursing College, Savar, Dhaka
- Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical College, Faridpur
- Ibrahim Cardiac Hospital & Research Institute
- Institute of Child & Mother Health (ICMH), Dhaka
- Institute of Child Health & Shishu Sasthya Foundation Hospital, Dhaka
- Institute of Community Ophthalmology, Chittagong
- Ispahani Islamia Eye Institute and Hospital, Dhaka
- Kumudini Welfare Trust, Mirzapur, Tangail
- Lions Eye Institute & Hospital, Dhaka
- Mymensingh Medical College, Mymensingh
- National Institute of Advanced Nursing Education and Research, Dhaka
- National Heart Foundation Hospital & Research Institute, Dhaka
- National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases (NICVD), Dhaka
- National Institute of Cancer Research & Hospital, Dhaka
- National Institute of Diseases of the Chest and Hospital (NIDCH), Dhaka
- National Institute of Kidney Diseases & Urology (NIKDU), Dhaka
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), Dhaka
- National Institute of Neurosciences & Hospital
- National Institute of Nuclear Medicine & Allied Science, Dhaka
- National Institute of Ophthalmology (NIO), Dhaka
- National Institute of Preventive and Social Medicine (NIPSOM), Dhaka
- National Institute of Traumatology and Orthopedic Rehabilitation (NITOR), Dhaka
- National Institute of ENT, Tejgaon, Dhaka
- Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College, Dhaka
- Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery
- Sir Salimullah Medical College, Dhaka.
Wall carving of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman (Father of the Nation) inside B block
- Lotay Tshering, Prime minister of Bhutan
- ^ "Vice Chancellor - BSMMU-Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University". bsmmu.edu.bd. Retrieved 2020-08-07.
- ^ "Director (Hospital) - BSMMU-Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University". bsmmu.edu.bd. Retrieved 2020-08-07.
- ^ Latif, Md Abdul (2021). "Shahbag". In Islam, Sirajul; Salimullah, Khwaja (eds.). Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- ^ DOAJ. "Directory of Open Access Journals". doaj.org. Retrieved 2020-08-07.
- ^ "Office of the Vice Chancellor". Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University. Archived from the original on 2019-09-22. Retrieved 4 Jan 2021.
- ^ "vc".
- ^ "Welcome to Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University Website". Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University. Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- ^ "Affiliated Institutes". Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University.
- ^ "Lotay Tshering joins Pahela Baishakh celebration, says Bangladesh is his 'second home'". bdnews24.com. 14 April 2019. Retrieved 14 April 2019.