Quarto (board game)
- tall or short;
- red or blue (or a different pair of colors, e.g. light- or dark-stained wood);
- square or circular; and
- hollow-top or solid-top.
Players take turns choosing a piece which the other player must then place on the board. A player wins by placing a piece on the board which forms a horizontal, vertical, or diagonal row of four pieces, all of which have a common attribute (all short, all circular, etc.). A variant rule included in many editions gives a second way to win by placing four matching pieces in a 2x2 square.
Quarto is distinctive in that there is only one set of common pieces, rather than a set for one player and a different set for the other. It is therefore an impartial game.
- Dé d’Or des Créateurs de Jeux 1989 – Paris, FRANCE
- Oscar du Jouet-Toy Oscar 1992– Paris, FRANCE
- Jouet de l’année-Game of the Year 1992 - BRUSSELS
- Super As d’Or Festival International des Jeux-Super Golden Ace 1992 –Cannes, FRANCE
- Toy Award 1992– BENELUX
- Spiel des Jahres-Game of the Year 1993– GERMANY
- Giocco Dell’anno-Game of the Year 1993– ITALY
- Speelgoed Vant Jaar-Game of the year 1993– NETHERLANDS
- Mensa Select Top 5 Best Games 1993 – USA
- Parent’s Choice Gold Award 1993 – USA
- Best Bet of the Toy Testing Council 1994– CANADA
- Prix d’Excellence des Consommateurs-Consumer’s Toy Award 1994–Quebec, CANADA
- Games Magazine “Games 100 Selection”1995 – USA
- Games Magazine “Games 100 Selection” 1996 – USA
- Games Magazine “Games 100 Selection” 1997 - USA
- Game of the Year 2004 – FINLAND
- Parent’s Choice Top 25 games in 25 years 2004 – USA