Raffertie performing live in Southampton
|Birth name||Benjamin Stefanski|
|Born||17 April 1987|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, trumpet|
|Labels||Ninja Tune, Super Recordings, Planet Mu|
Benjamin Stefanski (born 17 April 1987), better known by his stage name Raffertie, is a British composer and producer, based in London, England. He is currently signed to Ninja Tune, and also runs the Super Recordings record label.
On graduating in 2010 from Birmingham Conservatoire with a degree in Classical & Contemporary Music Composition, Raffertie had already become established in the world of electronic music. Recognised as both a producer and DJ he has a reputation for performances filled with a dynamic energy that saw him play across Europe from Fabric to Space as well as festivals Glastonbury and Bestival before he had graduated.
Raffertie has experimented with numerous styles, displaying the depth of his production skill across releases for Planet Mu, Black Acre, Super Recordings, Domino, Atlantic, Moshi Moshi and Ninja Tune for which he has received accolades from Simon Reynolds, Huw Stephens and Mary Anne Hobbes.
In April 2009, Raffertie's first remix of the Scottish act Franz Ferdinand "No You Girls" (the original reached No. 22 in the UK Singles Chart) was released on Domino. Also, in 2009 Raffertie played at Glade Festival and his track "Do dat" featured on A Trak's Fabric Live 45 mix in March.
After graduating in 2010, Raffertie founded Super Recordings and, in 2011, signed a record deal with independent UK record label, Ninja Tune.
"Visual Acuity EP," his first physical release for Ninja Tune was record of the week on Nick Grimshaw's show on BBC Radio 1, who described it as "Crazy, but so, so good." It also received airplay from Rob Da Bank, Lauren Laverne, Huw Stephens, Jen Long and Mary Anne Hobbs.
The debut album Sleep of Reason was released in August 2013 on Ninja Tune.
- Mixmag October 2009 Raffertie's remix of Akira Kiteshi's "Boom N' Pow" received a review of 4/5.
- iDJ April 2011 double page spread on Super Recordings.
- "Sleep of Reason" (Ninja Tune) – 2013
- "Not Asleep" / "Not Awake" (Ninja Tune)
- "7th Dimension" (Planet Mu)
- "Wobble Horror!" (Planet Mu)
- "Pumpin Like Reeboks" (Black Acre)
- Visual Acuity (Ninja Tune)
- Rank Functions (Super Recordings)
- Antisocial (Seclusiasis)
- Mass Appeal (Ninja Tune)
- Wolfgang "The King And All His Men" (Atlantic)
- Daedelus "Overwhelmed" (Ninja Tune)
- Astrid Williamson "Pour" (One Little Indian)
- Throwing Snow & Py "Wallow" (Super Recordings)
- Malente & Jay Robinson "Pop" (Fat!)
- Mr Fogg "Answerphone" (Kicking Ink)
- Vision of Trees "Sometimes It Kills" (Moshi Moshi)
- Photomachine "Technicolor" (Super Recordings)
- Taylor "CMB" (Super Recordings)
- Bang On! "Hands High" (Big Dada)
- Niki & the Dove "Dj, Ease My Mind" (Moshi Moshi)
- CocknBullKid "CocknBullKid" (Moshi Moshi)
- Silver Columns "Cavalier" (Moshi Moshi)
- Rudi Zygadlo "Filthy Logic" (Planet Mu)
- Starkey "Stars" (Planet Mu)
- Wild Beasts "Dancing on Our Tongues" (Domino)
- Franz Ferdinand "No You Girls" (Domino)
- Rogue Element "H.I.V.E" (Exceptional)
- Akira Kiteshi "Boom N' Pow" (Black Acre)
- Hybrid "All Torque" (Sony Computer Entertainment Europe)