Railway Regulation Act 1840
|Long title||An Act for regulating Railways.|
|Citation||3 & 4 Vict c 97|
|Royal assent||10 August 1840|
|Text of statute as originally enacted|
|Revised text of statute as amended|
Measures contained in the Act were;
- No railway to be opened without notice to the Board of Trade
- Returns to be made by railway companies
- Appointment of Board of Trade railway inspectors
- Railway byelaws to be approved by the Board
- Prohibition of drunkenness by railway employees
- Prohibition of obstruction of the railway
- Prohibition of trespass on railways
As of 2011, Section 16 of the Act, For punishment of persons obstructing the officers of any railway company, or trespassing upon any railway remains in force, as subsequently amended. The remainder has been repealed and replaced.
- The Railway Regulation Act 1840 at railwaysarchive.co.uk
- The Railway Regulation Act 1840, as amended from the National Archives.
- The Railway Regulation Act 1840, as originally enacted from the National Archives.