Rasmus Paludan (politician)
Rasmus Paludan and his party represent strong views on Islam and non-western immigration. Paludan is opposed to non-Western immigration and Islam's presence in Denmark. He is well-known for his numerous happenings and political demonstrations, often in areas with many Muslim immigrants. During these demonstrations he has presented anti-immigrant statements and taunted Muslims who have shown up to show their opposition to him. At his protests, Paludan has burned the Quran and defaced it in other ways that many Muslims find offensive. Videos of the subsequent confrontations are shared on YouTube where his party has gathered a large following.
He has acted as defence attorney in a number of cases involving self-styled "critics of the system" and proponents of medical cannabis. In April 2019 he was convicted of expressing racist views (Clause § 266b in the Danish penal code) but this judgment has been appealed to the High Court of Eastern Denmark and is still ongoing.
In January 2013, Paludan was given a 5-year restraining order, forbidding him to contact a then 24-year-old man whom he had been stalking since 2010, when they both started to study Latin at University of Copenhagen. Despite the restraining order, the harassment continued until December 2013. In 2015 Paludan was sentenced to a fine for offending the police officer who handled the stalking case.
- Stram Kurs (4 December 2018). English intro to Rasmus Paludan and Hard Line political party (24 NOV 2018). Retrieved 25 April 2019 – via YouTube.
- William Kristensen (15 April 2019). "Fra cykelstiens vogter til frihedens soldat". Jyllands-Posten (in Danish).
- Daniel Lingren (5 April 2019). "Islamkritikeren Rasmus Paludan dømt for racisme". Berlingske.
- "Formand for partiet Stram Kurs er dømt for racisme" (in Danish). DR. 5 April 2019.
- Jensen, Henrik; Jessen, Chris Kjær; Holm, Line Tolstrup; Pedersen, Lars Hørgaard (15 May 2019). "Ung mand blev i flere år chikaneret af Rasmus Paludan. En dag dukkede partilederen op med et kamera i mandens barndomsby". Berlingske (in Danish). Retrieved 15 May 2019.
- Bruun, Nanna Bundgaard; Løvkvist, Kasper; Funding, Thomas (14 May 2019). "Rasmus Paludans tilholdssag: Læs hvordan han forfulgte og chikanerede ung mand i årevis". JydskeVestkysten (in Danish). Retrieved 15 May 2019.
- "New far-right party seen entering Danish parliament: opinion poll". Reuters. 6 May 2019.
- "Danish Politician Seeks Voters 'Where They Are': On a Porn Site". New York Times. 15 May 2019.
- "Danish far-right party calling for Muslim deportation to stand in election". The Guardian. 5 May 2019.
|This Danish biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|