Ravenwood High School
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Ravenwood High School|
1724 Wilson Pike
|School district||Williamson County Schools|
|Color(s)||Red, black, gold|
|Yearbook||Eye of the Raptor|
|Feeder schools||Woodland Middle School|
Sunset Middle School
Opened in 2002, the $24.5 million facility, designed by architect Charlie Johnson, progressively grew its student body, beginning with only 540 students in grades nine and ten, 32 teachers, and 7 staff members. Currently enrolling approximately 2,000 students, Ravenwood aims "to become a model of successful community collaboration with the purpose of developing all learners to be able to work, learn and lead in the 21st century." The mission of Ravenwood is "to develop a community of learners that cultivates the intellect, ability, and character of each person within it." The school colors are red, black, and khaki. The mascot is the Raptor, a bird of prey represented by the Red Tail Hawk. Ravenwood High School was ranked in Newsweek magazine's list of the top 1,000 public schools in the United States.
Most students at Ravenwood take four academic classes, two electives, one directed study, and a lunch/advocate period. Credits are distributed along a fairly standard path, with most students taking English, mathematics, foreign language, science, and social studies. One year and a half of physical education is also required. The standard high school diploma requires twenty-three credits. In addition, two honors diplomas are offered, the Williamson County Honors Diploma and the Ravenwood Honors Diploma. Ravenwood ranks students using weighted GPA.
Ravenwood offers Advanced Placement (AP) courses. AP Comparative Government and AP Environmental Science were added for the 2012-2013 school year. In 2005, 62% of students scored a 3 or higher on end-of-course AP tests, and in 2006, 77% of students scored a 3 or higher. For the year of 2011-2012, the pass rate for AP Statistics was a 96%, while the pass rate for AP US History was a 94% (77/82; 4.2 average).
Ravenwood also has a Media Center with multiple computers and labs for students and faculty to use as well as a library. The Ravenwood Media Center library holds over 16,000 online resources, books, magazines, reference works, audio-visual materials and equipment. Resources are remotely accessible to students and teachers.
This section does not cite any sources. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ravenwood provides many various athletic teams in which students are invited to participate. TSSAA-sponsored sports include:
- Cheerleading - 2013, 2014, and 2015 Medium Varsity State Champions
- Cross Country
- Dance- State Champions Jazz Division - 2003, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012; National Dance Team Championships 2010 6th place varsity jazz, 1st place all-star jazz
- Football - 5A State Champions 2005, 6A State Champions 2015
- Golf -
- Tennis (girls) - 2010-2015 TSSAA State Champions
- Track & Field
- Volleyball - 2010 TSSAA State Champions,
Ravenwood is home to many club sports, including:
- Debate - 2014, 2016, 2017 National Qualifiers, 2017 State Champions, Carson Newman University Champions
- Technology Student Association - Tech Bowl Finalists. Public Speaking State Qualifier.
- Hockey - 2006, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2016 State Champions and 2011 State Runner-up
- Lacrosse Div I 2007 State Champions, Div II 2005 State Champions
- Rugby - Multiple Girls and Boys State Champions
- Model United Nations and Youth in Government
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Skeet & Trap Shooting
- Table Tennis
The Marching Band, has received multiple awards and accommodations, such as a USBands Class 5A state championship in 2012 and placing 4th in the famous Contest of Champions in 2014, and has competed at the BOA Grand National Championships 4 times (2010, 2011, 2012, and 2015). The band also performed at the Cotton Bowl and marched in the Cotton Bowl Parade in 2010, and was awarded 1st place for both the parade and standstill performances. The indoor drumline is also successful, medaling every year at the Southeastern Color Guard Circuit Championships for the past 4 years, including currently having a gold medal in the Percussion Scholastic A class. They have also competed at the WGI World Championships in the Percussion Scholastic A class twice in the past three years (2013 and 2015). The Marching Band also performed with country music singer Thomas Rhett at the CMA Awards 2018.
The indoor color guard has competed in the southeastern color guard circuit, and most recently finished out the 2016 winter guard season by placing first in the state in their class.
- "Ravenwood High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved January 25, 2019.
- "Ravenwood High School". Directory of Schools. Williamson County Schools. Archived from the original on 2008-03-02. Retrieved 2008-06-09.
- "Mission, Vision". Ravenwood High School.
- Complete List of the 1,000 Top U.S. Schools (2011)
- "Ravenwood Report Card". Ravenwood High School. Archived from the original on October 25, 2006.
- "In Focus". Williamson County School District. Retrieved 4 November 2015.