This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Genres||Indie rock, noise pop, garage rock, surf rock, shoegazing, post-punk revival|
Fierce Panda Records
|Members||Sune Rose Wagner
The Raveonettes are a Danish indie rock duo, consisting of Sune Rose Wagner on guitar, instruments and vocals, and Sharin Foo on bass, guitar and vocals. Their music is characterized by close two-part vocal harmonies inspired by The Everly Brothers coupled with hard-edged electric guitar overlaid with liberal doses of noise. Their songs juxtapose the structural and chordal simplicity of 1950s and 1960s rock with intense electric instrumentation, driving beats, and often dark lyrical content (e.g., crime, drugs, murder, suicide, love, lust, and betrayal), similar to another of the band's influences, The Velvet Underground.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Chain Gang of Love
- 3 Pretty in Black
- 4 Lust Lust Lust
- 5 In and Out of Control
- 6 Raven in the Grave
- 7 Observator
- 8 Pe'ahi
- 9 2016 Atomized (Anti-Album)
- 10 Instruments
- 11 Band line-up by album
- 12 Discography
- 13 References
- 14 External links
The duo met in Copenhagen and, after forming the band, began recording Whip It On at Once Was & Sauna Recording Studio, a former Sony Studios facility. They booked the studio for three weeks during non-session down time late in 2001 and handled all production chores by themselves. Adding guitarist Manoj Ramdas and jazz drummer Jakob Hoyer, The Raveonettes booked one of their first gigs at the SPOT festival in Aarhus, the second largest city in Denmark. After the release of Whip It On on the seminal Danish Crunchy Frog label, Hoyer and Ramdas would contribute to the next three Raveonettes albums, along with other additional musicians. However, by the time Lust Lust Lust was released in 2007, Sune and Sharin would be the only two musicians credited, showing a return to the dynamic around the time of the mini-album.
Officially, the band was discovered by Rolling Stone editor David Fricke at the SPOT festival, and his rave review of the duo immediately resulted in a number of offers from major labels. Unofficially, the band discovered that David Fricke would be present at the SPOT festival, and they rushed a band together and headed for the festival. The band is managed by Scott Cohen and Richard Gottehrer, who have been with them from the start. Cohen and Gottehrer orchestrated a bidding war for the band which culminated in the $2 million Columbia Records signing in 2002.
Whip It On was named "Best Rock Album of the Year" at the Danish Music Awards (Denmark's Grammy equivalent) on 1 March 2003, while The Raveonettes were picked by Rolling Stone and Q Magazine as being among the harbingers of the "Next Wave" of contemporary music.
Chain Gang of Love
The band's first full-length album, Chain Gang of Love, was produced by Richard Gottehrer and The Raveonettes' own Sune Rose Wagner. The album was recorded in Denmark and New York from 9–17 October, 6–12 November, and 4–10 December 2002, and mixed in London in early 2003. The thirteen songs on Chain Gang of Love are written by Sune Rose Wagner with the exception of "That Great Love Sound", which Sune co-wrote with Gottehrer. Portions of this song were featured in a U.S. ad for Kmart. The album is notable in that all the songs were written in the key B-flat major.
Pretty in Black
The band's follow-up album, Pretty in Black, broadened their musical palette, featuring guest vocals from Ronnie Spector of The Ronettes as well as guest instrumental spots from Maureen Tucker (of The Velvet Underground) and Martin Rev (of Suicide). This was their first album in which Sharin Foo did not play bass; instead, The Raveonettes added bass player Anders Christensen, who had toured with seminal jazz drummer Paul Motian, amongst others. Christensen recorded on the album and toured with the band. At the end of the 2005 tour, guitar player Manoj Ramdas left the band to concentrate on his new band SPEKTR.
The video for the single "Love in a Trashcan", directed by Peder Pedersen, features pink bars and blocks with words like "Vamp" and "Teaser" scrolling by the band members, and is reminiscent of an early-1960s cosmetic ad.
Lust Lust Lust
The duo's third studio album, Lust Lust Lust, was released in November 2007 in Europe and February 2008 in the U.S. The album received generally positive reviews, with the NME's Hardeep Phull describing it as "their most engrossing album."
In December 2008, Sune Rose Wagner released a solo album, simply titled Sune Rose Wagner. All of the songs are sung in his native language of Danish.
In and Out of Control
The Raveonettes' fourth album, In and Out of Control, was released 6 October 2009, with "Last Dance" released as the lead-off single. The album was co-written and produced by Thomas Troelsen. Both "Last Dance" and "Suicide", another song from the album, have been featured on The CW's Gossip Girl.
Raven in the Grave
Raven in the Grave, The Raveonettes fifth album, was released 4 April 2011. The album has produced three singles to date.
The duo released a new album, titled Observator, on 11 September 2012. The lead single 'Observations' was released 25 June. The second single 'She Owns the Streets' was released 9 July.
2016 Atomized (Anti-Album)
In 2015 the band announced the Rave-Sound-of-the-Month saying that in every month of 2016 the band were recording and releasing a new song. Dubbed by the band as the Anti-Album, the twelve songs were released individually for download online in each month of the year and were released 21 April 2017 as a full album titled 2016 Atomized.
During live performances, the band usually utilizes Fender instruments (Sune uses a number of Jazzmasters while Sharin opts for either Mustang or jazz bass, and a Jazzmaster). Sune plays a number of different guitars and basses on their albums, including different Fenders, Gibsons, and Gretsches. In the fall of 2005, the tour van containing the band's equipment (including Sune's prized 1960 Jazzmaster and Sharin's treasured Gretsch 6120) was stolen during their tour of the U.S.
On their 2007 tour, the band used the following effects pedals:
- Electro-Harmonx Pulsar
- ProCo Rat Distortion
- Boss Mega Distortion MD-2
- Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Octave Fuzz
- Boss Digital Reverb RV-2 & RV-5
- Danelectro Spring King
- Boss Chromatic Tuner TU-2
- Boss TR-2 Tremolo
- ProCo Rat Distortion
- Boss Digital Reverb RV-5 (3x)
- Zvex Fuzz Factory Vexter
- Boss Chromatic Tuner TU-2
Band line-up by album
Chain Gang of Love line-up
- Sune Rose Wagner: guitars and vocals
- Sharin Foo: bass and vocals
- Manoj Ramdas: guitars
- Jakob Hoyer: drums
Pretty in Black line-up
- Sune Rose Wagner: guitars, vocals, synth, percussion, drums, bass, and programming
- Sharin Foo: vocals and percussion
- Jakob Hoyer: drums and percussion
- Anders Christiensen: bass, percussion, and organ
- Manoj Ramdas: guitar
- Sune Rose Wagner: instruments and vocals
- Sharin Foo: vocals
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions||Certifications|
|2003||Chain Gang of Love
|2005||Pretty in Black
|2007||Lust Lust Lust
|2009||In and Out of Control
|2011||Raven in the Grave
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart.|
1 Lust Lust Lust's inclusion of 3D glasses rendered it ineligible for the UK Albums Chart.
- Whip It On (6 August 2002) (UK No. 114)
- Sometimes They Drop By (23 September 2008)
- Beauty Dies (21 October 2008)
- Wishing You a Rave Christmas (25 November 2008)
- Into the Night (24 April 2012) (DEN No. 36)
- The End (23 July 2015)
- Rarities/B-Sides (15 December 2011)
|2002||"Attack of the Ghost Riders"||—||73||—||Whip It On|
|"That Great Love Sound"||—||34||—||Chain Gang of Love|
|2004||"That Great Love Sound" (re-issue)||—||52||—|
|2005||"Ode to LA"||—||78||—||Pretty in Black|
|"Love in a Trashcan"||—||26||—|
|2007||"Dead Sound"||—||—||—||Lust Lust Lust|
|2008||"You Want the Candy"||—||—||15|
|"Aly, Walk with Me"||—||—||—|
|2009||"Bang!"||—||—||—||In and Out of Control|
|2010||"Heart of Stone"||—||—||—|
|2011||"Recharge & Revolt"||—||—||—||Raven in the Grave|
|"Let Me on Out"||—||—||—|
|"She Owns the Streets"||—||—||—|
|"Curse the Night"||—||—||—|
Soundtracks and compilations
- FIFA 2004 (2003) with "That Great Love Sound"
- Driv3r (2004) with "Bowels of the Beast"
- Stubbs the Zombie: The Soundtrack (2005) with "My Boyfriend's Back" (The Angels cover)
- Nordkraft – Original Soundtrack (2005) with "Beat City"
- Amnesty International's Instant Karma (2007) with "One Day at a Time" (John Lennon cover, download only)
- Whip It! Soundtrack (2009) with "Dead Sound"
- Drive Angry Soundtrack (2011) with "You Want the Candy"
- Batman: Arkham City (2011) with "Oh, Stranger"
- Catch .44 Soundtrack (2011) with "Dead Sound"
- Van God Los de serie (2012) with "Evil Seeds"
- Lockout (2012) with "Beat City"
- A Psych Tribute to the Doors (2014) with "The End" (The Doors cover)
- American Honey (2016) with "Recharge & Revolt"
- "The Raveonettes – A Class Act". Clash. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- "The Raveonettes". Npr.org. Retrieved 2012-04-23.
- Nay, Rob."The Raveonettes’ Buddy System", Exclaim!, March 2008.
- Errico, Mike (December 2006). "Hottest Women of...Rock". Blender Magazine Online. Archived from the original on 10 February 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-09.
- "The Raveonettes – The Raveonettes – Album Reviews –". Nme.com. 2007-11-09. Retrieved 2014-04-26.
- Thiessen, Brock (2008-12-10). "– Sune Rose Wagner". Exclaim.ca. Retrieved 2014-04-26.
- "Gossip Girl Music | Season 5 – Episode 20". Cwtv.com. Retrieved 2012-04-23.
- "Review – The Raveonettes – Observator". Nymn.com. 17 September 2012. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- Noel, Alyssa (13 June 2012). "The Raveonettes Celebrate 10th Anniversary With New LP 'Observator' | SPIN | Newswire". SPIN. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- "Observator by Raveonettes". Mp396.com. Retrieved 2011-09-01.
- "iTunes – Music – Observations – Single by The Raveonettes". Itunes.apple.com. 25 June 2012. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- "iTunes – Music – She Owns the Streets – Single by The Raveonettes". Itunes.apple.com. 9 July 2012. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- Chris Coplan. "The Raveonettes release surprise album Pe'ahi". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "The Raveonettes - 2016 Atomized - Album Review | The Ark of Music - The best music in the world...you never knew existed". The Ark of Music. 2017-02-20. Retrieved 2017-07-15.
- "The Raveonettes – GeekChat!". Guitargeek.com. Retrieved 2012-04-23.
- "Raveonettes album positions in Denmark". Danishcharts.com. Retrieved 2009-06-10.
- "Discografie The Raveonettes". Ultratop.be. Retrieved 2014-08-05.
- "Raveonettes album positions in France". Lescharts.com. Retrieved 2009-06-10.
- "Raveonettes album positions in the Netherlands". Dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 2009-06-10.
- "Raveonettes album positions in Sweden". Swedishcharts.com. Retrieved 2009-06-10.
- "Raveonettes positions in the UK". Zobbel.de. Retrieved 2009-06-10.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 451. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Raveonettes album positions in the US". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2009-06-10.
- "Guld og Platin i maj/juni" (in Danish). IFPI Danmark. 7 July 2006. Retrieved 6 August 2011.
- "Raveonettes single positions in Denmark". Danishcharts.com. Retrieved 2009-06-10.
- "Chart Log UK". Zobbel.de. Retrieved 2014-04-26.
- "Various – Nordkraft – Original Soundtrack (CD) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-04-23.
- "Van God Los leader season 2". Youtube.com. Retrieved 2012-05-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Raveonettes.|