Ravi Singh (humanitarian)
|Born||16 September 1969|
|Alma mater||Slough and Eton Church of England Business and Enterprise College|
|Occupation||CEO of Khalsa Aid|
|Known for||Humanitarian work around the globe|
|Founded Khalsa Aid 1999|
Humanitarian Aid to Yazdi Families in Iraq escaped from ISIS
|Board member of||Khalsa Aid|
|Awards||Sikh of the Year 2014|
Bhagat Singh Thind community empowerment Award 2017
Ravi has been working as a humanitarian since 1999, when he had the idea of taking the concept of langar aka Sikh community Kitchen to regions of the world that needed it the most with the hope that it will help to rekindle people’s trust in humanity.
Ravi shot to fame in the UK in 2014 when he mobilised his charity to help the people of Somerset after heavy rain and high winds caused huge amounts of damage to property and land. Later that year the people of Somerset nominated him to appear on the national hit TV show 'Surprise Surprise' as a way of saying thank you for his support. He received a family holiday and a new car.
In 2015 Ravi helped the people of Nepal after an earthquake killed nearly 9,000 people and injured nearly 22,000. He encouraged his newly made friends from Somerset to help.
The BBC made a film about Ravi in 2016 titled 'The Selfless Sikh' which documented his journey to northern Iraq, where he provides aid to Yazidi families who have fled their homes to escape the brutality of Islamic State. The film follows Singh into the heart of Iraqi Kurdistan as he delivers aid to Yazidi refugees in makeshift camps, barely 70 kilometres from the IS stronghold of Mosul.
In 2016 Ravi's team assisted motorists stranded in the Dover traffic chaos by delivering 6000 water bottles. Some travellers spent up to 15 hours at a standstill on the M20. Ravi was praised widely on social media. Ravi Singh also stepped in providing relief to Kerla Flood victims and Assame , and currently Khalsa Aid Team providing Aid to Flood affected areas in Punjab.
Awards and recognition
In 2017, Ravi was honoured with the Bhagat Singh Thind Community Empowerment Award at a national gala dinner in the USA.
- "Founder of Khalsa Aid,Ravi Singh to receive Bhagat Singh Thind community empowerment Award". Retrieved 5 September 2019.
- "Khalsa Aid's Ravi Singh named as 'International Sensation'". Retrieved 5 September 2019.
- "The Selfless Sikh: Faith on the Frontline - BBC One". BBC. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "Ravi Singh: Reigniting Faith in Humanity". www.darpanmagazine.com. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "Disaster Charity Khalsa Aid Helps Flood Victims". Sky News. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "Relief worker surprised on national TV after flooding help". Slough Observer. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "Nepal earthquake: Happy List hero inspires people to return the help". The Independent. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- Visvak (19 November 2016). "Ravi Singh: the Sikh who leads relief work from Haiti to Iraq". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- Boult, Adam (24 July 2016). "Volunteer group delivers water to motorists stranded in Dover traffic chaos". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "Ravi Singh, Founder of Khalsa Aid to Receive Bhagat Singh Thind Award | SALDEF". saldef.org. Retrieved 25 June 2018.