|Born||29 August 1945|
Raymond Suttner (born 29 August 1945) is South African activist, academic, journalist and public figure.
Education and activism
Suttner was born in Durban, South Africa. He obtained BA and LLB degrees from the University of Cape Town and an inter-disciplinary doctorate (history, sociology and political studies) from the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg.
He served two prison terms under apartheid. He was sentenced to seven and a half years in 1975 for "taking part in the activities of an unlawful organisation" by distributing ANC literature, and "undergoing training or inciting or encouraging others to undergo training, or obtaining information which could be of use in furthering the achievements of any of the objects of communism or any unlawful organisation". He served his sentence in Pretoria Local, or Pretoria Prison, which was part of the Pretoria Central Prison complex, along with Denis Goldberg, Jeremy Cronin and others. He was there at the time of a daring escape in 1979 by Tim Jenkin, Stephen Lee and Alex Moumbaris.
- Raymond Suttner; Jeremy Cronin (1985). 30 Years of the Freedom Charter. Johannesburg: Ravan Press. ISBN 978-1-876175-25-2.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Raymond Suttner; Jeremy Cronin (2006). 50 years of the Freedom Charter. Unisa Press. ISBN 978-1-86888-375-2.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Raymond Suttner (2002). Inside Apartheid's Prison: Notes and letters of struggle. Minneapolis: Ocean Press. ISBN 978-1-876175-25-2.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- The ANC Underground in South Africa. Johannesburg: Jacana Press. 2008. ISBN 978-1770095977.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Recovering Democracy in South Africa. Johannesburg: Jacana Press. 2015. ISBN 9781431421589.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Raymond Suttner (1984). The Freedom Charter: the people's charter in the nineteen-eighties. University of Cape Town.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Raymond Suttner (2003). The Character and Formation of Intellectuals Within the South African Liberation Movement. Codesria.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- "Professor Raymond Suttner". South African History Online. 7 April 2016. Retrieved 16 May 2016.
- Spector, J Brooks (13 March 2015). "Review: Raymond Suttner's Recovering Democracy in South Africa". Daily Maverick. Retrieved 16 May 2016.
- "About Raymond Suttner". Archived from the original on 17 December 2017.
- Jenkin, Tim (1987). "Escape from Pretoria" (PDF). South African History Online: 67–69. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- Raymond Suttner, Who's Who South Africa
- "Statement in Court by Raymond Suttner, Lecturer in Law at the University of Natal, African National Congress, 1975". African National Congress. Archived from the original on 6 May 2016.
|This biographical article about a South African academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a South African activist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|