Reads Landing, Minnesota
|Reads Landing, Minnesota|
within Pepin Township, Wabasha County
|Elevation||709 ft (216 m)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||649857|
The community is located between Lake City and Wabasha along U.S. Highway 61 at the junction with Wabasha County Road 77.
Reads Landing is located within section 24 of Pepin Township. Other nearby places include Reads Landing Park and Reads Landing Overlook.
Reads Landing was platted in 1856. Around 1878, the community had various commercial and transportation buildings, but later those businesses moved to Wabasha. The post office began in 1850 and still operates today. At one time, Reads Landing was considered a possible site for the Minnesota state capital.
- James Huff Stout (1848–1910), former Wisconsin legislator and businessman; lived in Reads Landing.
- "Reads Landing, Minnesota". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Upham, Warren (1920). Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance. Minnesota Historical Society. p. 558.
- Minnesota Place Names–Reads Landing
- Wurzer, Cathy (2008). Tales of the Road: Highway 61. St. Paul, MN: Minnesota Historical Society Press. p. 105. ISBN 0-87351-626-5. Retrieved April 4, 2011.
- Wabasha County Museum
- University of Wisconsin–Stout James Huff Stout
|This article about a location in Wabasha County, Minnesota is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|