Rerun van Pelt
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Rerun van Pelt|
Rerun on the back of his mother's bicycle
|First appearance||May 23, 1972 (born and first mention)
March 26, 1973 (official debut)
|Last appearance||January 30, 2000|
|Voiced by||Vinnie Dow (1976)
Jason Mendelson (1983-1986) (credited as Jason Muller)
Tim Deters (2002) (as Timmy Deters)
Jimmy Bennett (2003-2006) (credited as James Bennett)
Finn Carr (2016-present)
Daniel Thornton (2016, as a baby)
|Family||Linus (older brother)
Lucy (older sister)
Felix van Pelt (grandfather)
Rerun started as a minor character in the Peanuts universe, only becoming a main character in the last decade of the comic strip. Rerun was first mentioned in the strip on May 23, 1972, during a storyline in which Lucy threw Linus out of the house only to learn that yet another little brother had just been born. He was rarely used in the 1980s; by that time, Schulz had run out of ideas about how to use him.
Rerun's animated debut is in the animated television special It's Arbor Day, Charlie Brown, and his first major appearance in the strip was adapted in the first produced episode of The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show.[unreliable source?] Rerun only made one other appearance in a television special before 2000, Happy New Year, Charlie Brown! from 1986, where his attempts to blow up balloons for the New Year's party ended in failure, as he blew them up as cubes rather than spheres (a scenario adapted from a comic strip story involving Linus from December 1954, when Linus was roughly the same age). Rerun was mentioned, but not seen, in the 1985 special "Snoopy's Getting Married, Charlie Brown" when Charlie Brown informed Snoopy that he could not back out of his wedding because Rerun had already been chosen as ring-bearer. Rerun briefly appeared in Charlie Brown's Christmas Tales, and the 2003 animated television special I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown. This episode uses Rerun as its primary character. Rerun's most recent television appearance is in the 2006 television special He's a Bully, Charlie Brown.
- Vinnie Dow (1976)
- Jason Mendelson (1983-1986) (as Jason Muller)
- Tim Deters (2002) (as Timmy Deters)
- Jimmy Bennett (2003, 2006) (as James Bennett)
- Finn Carr (2016)
- Daniel Thornton (2016) as a baby.
Neither of the Broadway productions of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown and Snoopy! The Musical (aside from a cameo in the animated adaptation) featured Rerun, but various local and regional productions have included Rerun as a character.
- Charles M. Schulz promoting It's Flashbeagle, Charlie Brown (1984). People are Talking (SWF) (Television production). San Francisco: YouTube. Event occurs at 3:35. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
Rerun is still around. He rides on the back of his mom's bicycle now and then, and we're going to use him on some of the Saturday morning television shows but I just ... run out of ideas on certain subjects, and lately I haven't been able to think of anything where he is on the back of his mom's bicycle. But he's still around.
- Rerun Van Pelt (Character) from Internet Movie Database
- Schulz, Charles M., The Complete Peanuts 1953 to 1954, Fantagraphics Books
- You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown from the Internet Broadway Database
- You're A Good Man Charlie Brown, All About Theatre
- Charlie Brown Cast
- You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown by San Diego Junior Theatre
- Community Theater Takes Center Stage, West Chicago Community News