|Headquarters||San Francisco, California|
Ribbon is a San Francisco payments startup that lets users sell online using a shortened URL that can be shared across email, social media and a seller's own website. The service focuses on bring integrated checkouts directly to platforms like Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter letting buyers purchase without leaving those services.
The company graduated from a startup accelerator called AngelPad as "Kout" in October 2011 and subsequently raised $1.6 million from Tim Draper through Draper Associates, Naguib Sawiris, Emil Michael, Gokul Rajaram, and others bringing its total raised amount to $1.75 million.
On April 10, 2013 the company announced support for "in-stream" payments on Twitter, allowing buyers to purchase items without leaving the Twitter.com stream. Twitter shut down Ribbon's API access after approximately an hour and a half, according to Head of Business Development, Daniel Brusilovsky. Ribbon requested permission to show video cards, but after receiving permission then switched the url to show the hacked checkout system. The company wrote a statement announcing they will revert to showcasing only a summary of their product without the ability to do in-stream payments. As of April 11, 2013 Ribbon links inside Twitter no longer work in-stream and buyers are redirected to purchase on the Ribbon website.
- "Well, That Was Fast: Twitter Already Shut Down Ribbon's Newly Launched In-Stream Payments Feature". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2020-07-24.
- Mitroff, Sarah (2013-02-07). "Ribbon Wants You to Skip Craigslist and Sell Your Stuff on Facebook". Wired. ISSN 1059-1028. Retrieved 2020-07-24.
- Staff, ByVadim SupitskiyForbes. "Hany Rashwan". Forbes. Retrieved 2020-07-24.
- "Payments Startup Ribbon Now Lets You Buy In-Stream On Twitter.com, Launches YouTube Support & Price-Matches PayPal" TechCrunch.
- "Former Googlers’ AngelPad Graduates 15 More Start-Ups" AllThingsD,
- "Ribbon Raises $1.6M From Tim Draper & Others, Launches New Way To Take Payments Directly In The Facebook News Feed" TechCrunch.
- "Ribbon | Crunchbase Profile" Crunchbase.
- "Well, That Was Fast: Twitter Already Shut Down Ribbon’s Newly Launched In-Stream Payments Feature" TechCrunch.
- "An Update on Ribbon and Twitter" Ribbon Blog