Richard Baker (Scottish politician)
|Member of the Scottish Parliament
for North East Scotland
1 May 2003
29 May 1974 |
|Political party||Scottish Labour Party|
|Alma mater||University of Aberdeen|
Richard Baker (born 29 May 1974) is a Scottish Labour politician, and member of the Scottish Parliament (MSP) for the North East Scotland region. He was first elected in the 2003 general election, when he was the youngest sitting MSP. He is a former member of Labour's Shadow Cabinet in the Scottish Parliament having served as the Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Justice and Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Finance.
Baker was born in Edinburgh to an Episcopalian priest father and English teacher mother, and is godson to the then Episcopalian Bishop of Aberdeen. He was educated at the independent St. Bees School in Cumbria and at Aberdeen University.
He was the elected President of the National Union of Students Scotland from 1998 till 2000 and before that the Senior Vice-President (an elected, full-time sabbatical officer post) at the University of Aberdeen Students' Representative Council (now Aberdeen University Students' Association) in the academic year 1995/96. He is a former Scottish Press Officer of Help the Aged.
Baker is a member of Unite the Union and the Co-operative Party.
In the early part of 2014, he was selected as the Labour candidate for Aberdeen North in the 2015 UK general election, after current MP Frank Doran announced his retirement. However, he lost in the election to Scottish National Party candidate Kirsty Blackman.
In June 2015, Richard Baker announced he would stand in the 2015 Scottish Labour Party deputy leadership election. When the result was announced, he had come last of the three candidates with 30% of the vote. In the subsequent reshuffle of the Shadow Cabinet and spokespeople, Baker was not appointed to any position. Shortly afterwards, in September 2015, Baker announced he would be stepping down from the parliament at the 2016 election.
- Times Higher article 24 December 1999 http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storyCode=149450§ioncode=26
- Clark, Andrew (8 May 2015). "SNP candidate Kirsty Blackman wins Aberdeen North seat". UK: The Press and Journal.
- "Five candidates put forward names for Scottish Labour leader posts". UK: BBC News. 15 June 2015.
- "Labour MSP Alex Rowley elected as the party's new deputy leader". Scotland: BBC Scotland. 15 August 2015.
- "Who is in Scottish Labour's frontbench team?". Scotland: BBC Scotland. 20 August 2015.
- "Richard Baker to stand down as MSP". BBC News. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- Richard Baker MSP - Scottish Parliament Official Biography
- Richard Baker MSP - Personal website
- Scottish Labour Party - Crime & Justice