||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Neer began his radio career as a student at Adelphi University, from which he graduated in 1970. He worked at Long Island, New York station WLIR, where he was one of the early adopters of the freeform or progressive rock radio format.
In 1971, he joined the airstaff of progressive rock radio powerhouse WNEW-FM in New York City, where he worked as a disc jockey, doing mornings for eight years over three different eras. He was also program director for five years. For a while, Neer had a friendly relationship with Bruce Springsteen, who would call in to his late-night show, and played a part in bringing Springsteen's music to a wider audience. He witnessed the growth of the format and then its gradual shift into a more rigid, programmed, classic rock-driven product, a transformation he described in his 2001 book FM: The Rise and Fall of Rock Radio.
Concurrently, Neer began working as a sports radio talk show host at New York station WNEW-AM in 1987 and then at WFAN in 1988. WFAN was the first and most visible of the successful all-sports format radio stations. Neer broadcast on the last day of music at WNEW-FM in 1999, then returned to that station for a bit after its switch to a "hot talk" format replacing the Sports Guys sports talk show hosting "Sports in the Morning—powered by the FAN" up until the time the station started stunting CHR before its flip to Blink.
Neer remains at WFAN doing sports talk, working Saturday mornings and some nights. His call-in show was where Mets fans registered disapproval of the team's decision to run ads targeted at Latinos. He hosted New York Giants NFL broadcasts for several years.
In 2014 Neer published his first novel, entitled Something of the Night. He published his second novel, The Master Builders, on May 17, 2016.
- Neer, Richard. FM: The Rise and Fall of Rock Radio. Villard, 2001. ISBN 0-679-46295-3.
- Neer, Richard. Something of the Night, Amazon/Kindle eBook. 2014. ASIN B00MS8R14U
- Neer, Richard. The Master Builders, Amazon/Kindle eBook. 2016. ASIN B01FKI3RNS
- "Richard Neer", CBS New York, retrieved August 9, 2014.
- "Richard Neer '70", Alumni Profile, Adelphi University, retrieved August 9, 2014.
- Marc Dolan, Bruce Springsteen and the Promise of Rock 'n' Roll, New York: Norton, 2012, ISBN 9780393081350.
- Larry Getlen, "Band on the 'run'", New York Post, August 22, 2010.
- "FM: The Rise and Fall of Rock Radio, by Richard Neer", Kirkus Reviews, September 25, 2001.
- Adam Rubin, Pedro, Carlos, and Omar: The Story of a Season in the Big Apple and the Pursuit of Baseball's Top Latino stars, Guilford, Connecticut: Lyons, 2006, ISBN 9781592288755, 39.
- Bob Raissman, "SNY voices quick to chide deliberate Joba Chamberlain", New York Daily News, June 15, 2009.
- Bob Raissman, "The final 'NBA Countdown': Keep Sage Steele and dump Bill Simmons, Jalen Rose and Doug Collins", New York Daily News, June 14, 2014.