The Professor (2018 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Wayne Roberts|
|Written by||Wayne Roberts|
|Edited by||Sabine Emiliani|
The Professor (originally titled Richard Says Goodbye) is a 2018 American comedy-drama film written and directed by Wayne Roberts. The film stars Johnny Depp, Rosemarie DeWitt, Danny Huston, Zoey Deutch, Ron Livingston and Odessa Young.
After learning he has six months to live, a college lecturer transforms into a rebellious party animal. To the shock of his wife and school chancellor, and to the delight of his students, he leads a crusade against authority and hypocrisy.
- Johnny Depp as Richard Brown
- Zoey Deutch as Claire
- Danny Huston as Peter
- Rosemarie DeWitt as Veronica Sinclair-Brown
- Devon Terrell as Danny
- Odessa Young as Olivia Brown
- Siobhan Fallon Hogan as Donna
- Linda Emond as Barbara
- Ron Livingston as Henry Wright
- Marilyn Norry as Henry's Secretary
- Justine Warrington as Sarah
On May 8, 2017, it was announced that Johnny Depp would star in a comedy drama film Richard Says Goodbye as a college professor in the titular role, to be written and directed by Wayne Roberts following his debut film Katie Says Goodbye, which IM Global would be fully financing. Brian Kavanaugh Jones would produce the film through his Automatik Entertainment along with IM Global's Greg Shapiro. On July 20, 2017, Zoey Deutch was cast in the film to play one of the students of the professor. The rest of the main cast was announced on July 25, 2017, which included Danny Huston, Rosemarie DeWitt, Devon Terrell, and Odessa Young. It was reported that the film would be co-financed by IM Global and Cirrina Studios, with an additional financing by Leeding Media.
It had its world premiere at the Zurich Film Festival on October 5, 2018. Prior to that, Saban Films and DirecTV Cinema acquired distribution rights to the film. It was released on May 17, 2019.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a 6% rating based on 17 reviews, with an average rating of 4.75/10. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 37 out of 100 based on 12 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
- Lodderhose, Diana (May 8, 2017). "Johnny Depp To Star In Wayne Roberts' 'Richard Says Goodbye' For IM Global – Cannes". Deadline. Retrieved May 9, 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (July 20, 2017). "Zoey Deutch to Co-Star With Johnny Depp in 'Richard Says Goodbye' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- Lodderhose, Diana (July 25, 2017). "Danny Huston, Rosemarie Dewitt & More Join Johnny Depp In 'Richard Says Goodbye'". Deadline. Retrieved July 25, 2017.
- Brown, Scott (June 30, 2017). "Johnny Depp to film Richard Says Goodbye in Vancouver". Vancouver Sun. Retrieved July 2, 2017.
- "Richard Says Goodbye Starts Filming with Johnny Depp". ComingSoon.net. July 25, 2017. Retrieved July 25, 2017.
- Roxborough, Scott (September 12, 2018). "Johnny Depp's 'Richard Says Goodbye' to World Premiere at Zurich Film Festival". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 12, 2018.
- "Richard Says Goodbye". Zurich Film Festival. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (September 10, 2018). "Saban Films, DirecTV Land Johnny Depp-Starrer 'Richard Says Goodbye' For $3 Million: Toronto". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 10, 2018.
- Fernandez, Alexia (April 9, 2019). "Johnny Depp Plays a Man with Just Six Months to Live in First Trailer for The Professor". People. Retrieved April 10, 2019.
- "The Professor (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved June 2, 2019.
- "The Professor". Metacritic. Retrieved June 2, 2019.
|This article about a 2010s comedy-drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|