|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
Richard Wilcox (born 13 May 1967 in Wurzburg, Germany) is a German and United States diplomat and public finance expert. He served as the Director-General of the African Union’s African Risk Capacity from 2013-2015 at the level of Assistant Secretary General and currently serves as Special Advisor on Humanitarian Finance to the United Nations World Food Program and as a senior conflict mediation advisor at the Humanitarian Dialogue Centre.
As a United Nations and African Union diplomat, Wilcox has led key development reform enterprises including the African Risk Capacity (ARC) to ensure African governments against natural disasters  and was first to propose a levy on personal data extraction to finance aid for the elimination of extreme poverty. As head of the ARC, he also developed the first sovereign pandemic insurance program.
In 2008, Wilcox served as the UN Secretary-General’s envoy to Serbia for the Kosovo independence process where he negotiated the SG Kosovo package, then the first agreement in the UN Security Council on Kosovo in a decade. He had previously served in UN political and peacekeeping missions in the former Yugoslavia (1995-1999) and Iraq (2003-2004, 2007) as well as Director of United Nations affairs on the US National Security Council (1999-2001). In 2017, his nomination as UN special envoy to Libya was withdrawn as Russia retaliated against US opposition to an earlier candidate.
Wilcox holds a Ph.D. from MIT (2000) and was a fellow at Harvard’s Olin Institute for Strategic Studies (1998). He has also taught political science at the Johns Hopkins University’s School of Advanced International Studies.
Joanna Syroka and Richard Wilcox, Rethinking International Disaster Aid Finance, Columbia Journal of International Affairs, Vol. 59, No. 2, The Globalization of Disaster (Spring/Summer 2006), pp. 197–214 https://www.jstor.org/stable/24358433?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
Richard Wilcox, Data Financing for the Global Good – Afterword, pp. 55–56 https://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Oll-Rockefeller-Data-Financing-for-Global-Good.pdf
- African Union Handbook, p. 154. http://www.un.org/en/africa/osaa/pdf/au/au-handbook-2015.pdf
- Georgia Keohane, Capital and the Common Good: How Innovative Finance Is Tackling the World's Most Urgent Problems, pp. 128-129. https://cup.columbia.edu/book/capital-and-the-common-good/9780231178020
- Knowledge@Wharton, Wharton Social Impact Initiative, University of Pennsylvania, Innovative Finance: Mobilizing Capital for Maximum Impact, pp. 14 and 16. https://assets.rockefellerfoundation.org/app/uploads/20160822182737/Innovative-Finance-Mobilizing-Capital-for-Maximum-Impact-Aug-2016.pdf
- Africa agency to offer insurance against Ebola https://www.ft.com/content/c1f7ab98-a6ca-11e4-8a71-00144feab7de
- David Harland, Balkan Ghosts: Kosovo and the UN, Pages 75-98 | Published online: 29 Sep 2010, http://www.b92.net/eng/news/politics.php?yyyy=2008&mm=07&dd=02&nav_id=51570
- "Richard Wilcox - HD Centre". www.hdcentre.org.
- "Russia Nixes Former White House Aide for Top U.N. Job in Libya".
- Wanted in Rome, The English Language Magazine in Rome, No 7, July 2016, p. 36.