Rivalry (video game)
A screenshot of the game's main fight screen.
|Platform(s)||Windows, MacOS, Linux|
Rivalry is a 2015 ragdoll-based sword-fighting hotseat multiplayer game created by Kew McParlane. The game was released into Steam Early Access in January 2016 after being previewed as a WebGL game at PAX Australia 2015.
Kew came up with the idea of the game when he was a 12 year old, leading him to build a prototype using Little Big Planet. He took the idea to his father, who encouraged Kew by teaching him how to program. He then ran a successful Kickstarter to raise $2000 to get himself an Indie Developer stand at PAX 2015 in Melbourne, Australia.
Gameplay and reception
In Rivalry, two players take turns at moving their ragdoll character’s limbs and weapons until one is victorious. While the beginning stages of each game captures the strategic essence of swordplay, as damage and limbs are taken, the endgame turns rather Pythonesque.
Rivalry's Steam Greenlight campaign launched a few days before PAX Australia 2015, and received mostly negative comments due to the primitive graphics of the game. During and after PAX, Rivalry began to receive almost exclusively positive comments from people who had attended PAX and experienced the game first-hand.
Rivalry was released under Steam Early Access on 22 January 2016. It gained some popularity amongst gamers when Kim Richards from The Yogscast published two playthrough videos on the 16th and 19th of March 2016.
- Nick, Hudson (2015-11-06). "PAX Rising: The Indie Overview". SaveGame. SaveGame. Retrieved 2015-11-06.
- "Rivalry on Steam". Steam. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- Lime, Aaron (5 November 2015). "The Action Points Podcast! Episode 110A – PAXceptional Indie Video Games". The Action Points Podcast. Retrieved 2015-11-05.
- Gollan, Stuart (10 November 2015). "Meet the 14 year old behind one of the best games of PAX Australia". Stevivor. Retrieved 2015-11-10.
- Worsley, Richard (11 November 2015). "PAX AU 2015: 'Rivalry' Interview". Another Castle. Retrieved 2015-11-11.
- Starr, Michelle (12 November 2015). "Rivalry: The most hilarious dueling game you'll ever play". CNET. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "Fighting Your Friends to Get Ahead – Interview with Kew McParlane about Rivalry". www.hittincrits.com. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- "MultiPAX: Multiplayer mayhem at PAX Australia (pictures) - Page 2 - CNET". CNET. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- "Games Night Episode 8: Pax-Wing | Games Night". www.gamesnightau.com. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- "Rivalry needs a stand for PAX Australia 2015". Kickstarter. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- Reilly, Luke (3 November 2015). "A Quick Look at the Insanity of Rivalry - PAX AU". IGN. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "Steam Community :: Rivalry :: Comments". steamcommunity.com. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- "Steam Greenlight :: Rivalry". steamcommunity.com. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- "Rivalry on Steam". store.steampowered.com. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- YOGSCAST Kim (2016-03-16), RIVALRY! Bloody Mess!, retrieved 2016-04-11
- YOGSCAST Kim (2016-03-19), RIVALRY! Just Like Deadpool!, retrieved 2016-04-11
- "Good Game - Video". www.abc.net.au. Retrieved 2016-10-04.