This biography of a living person includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Rob Schnapf is an American record producer and musician. He was the co-producer (along with Tom Rothrock) of Elliott Smith's albums Either/Or, XO (on which he also played guitar on the song "Baby Britain"), Figure 8 and From a Basement on the Hill, for which he was recruited by Smith's family to complete after Smith's death.
Schnapf, along with Rothrock and partner Bradshaw Lambert, started Bong Load Custom Records in the early 90s which is notable for releasing Beck's "Loser" single. Schnapf first heard Beck as he was playing on the street during the annual Sunset Junction Fair. A week later Rothrock saw Beck jump onstage to play in between bands during a show at Jabberjaw and approached him afterwards about recording his songs. Together Rothrock, Schnapf, Beck and Karl Stephenson recorded the bulk of what would become "Loser", and subsequently Mellow Gold, Beck's first major label album. Rothrock and Schnapf would continue to record with Beck working on material for what was intended to be his follow-up to Mellow Gold, a somber acoustic affair meant to silence detractors that claimed he was a one hit wonder joke act. Beck eventually had a change of heart and went on to record Odelay with The Dust Brothers only using one song from the Rothrock/Schnapf sessions, "Ramshackle", as the album closer.
Rob and Tom produced the 1993 Dog Society album entitled Test Your Own Eyes. Schnapf later produced Guided By Voices' second of two TVT Records releases; Isolation Drills in 2001 and The Vines debut album Highly Evolved in 2002. In 2003, he produced Saves The Day's album, In Reverie. Also, in 2005, he produced Nine Black Alps' debut album Everything Is.
Schnapf produced Brooklyn based artist Kevin Devine's major label debut Put Your Ghost to Rest. Following the success of the partnership Schnapf was also recruited to produce Devine's "Another Bag of Bones" a single released prior to Devine's follow up album.
Schnapf produced Canadian indie-rock band Tokyo Police Club's 2010 second album "Champ".
Schnapf is also credited with the creation of the tambourine back beat, and the 3 against 2 vibraslap.
He is currently in development of a 1-hour crime drama called the Pope and The Monkey
- 1993: Test Your Own Eyes - Dog Society (Co-producer w/ Tom Rothrock)
- 1994: Mellow Gold - Beck (Co-producer)
- 1995: Daredevil - Fu Manchu (Co-producer w/ Tom Rothrock and Fu Manchu)
- 1997: Either/Or – Elliott Smith (Co-producer w/ Tom Rothrock)
- 1998: XO – Elliott Smith (Co-producer w/ Tom Rothrock)
- 2000: Figure 8 – Elliott Smith (Co-producer w/ Tom Rothrock)
- 2001: Isolation Drills - Guided by Voices
- 2001: Stay What You Are - Saves the Day
- 2002: Your Majesty - The Anniversary
- 2002: Highly Evolved - The Vines
- 2003: In Reverie - Saves the Day
- 2003: La Musica Negra - Verbena
- 2004: From a Basement on the Hill - Elliott Smith
- 2004: Winning Days - The Vines
- 2006: Put Your Ghost To Rest - Kevin Devine
- 2007: Dream Days at the Hotel Existence - Powderfinger
- 2007: Scream And Light Up The Sky - The Honorary Title
- 2007: Heart Tuned To D.E.A.D. - Switches
- 2008: Mission Control - The Whigs
- 2008: Melodia - The Vines
- 2009: Adult Nights - Wild Light
- 2009: Potato Hole - Booker T. Jones (Co-producer)
- 2009: Seizures - Kisschasy
- 2010: Champ - Tokyo Police Club
- 2010: Sweet Thing - Sweet Thing
- 2010: Shame Shame - Dr. Dog
- 2012: Emerge - Dog Society
- 2012: "A Sleep & A Forgetting" - Islands
- 2013: Bulldozer - Kevin Devine
- 2013: FIDLAR - FIDLAR
- 2014: Night Moves - H-burns
- 2015: St. Catherine - Ducktails
- 2016: Cody - Joyce Manor
- 2016: Cold Coffee - Barrie-James O'Neill
- 2017: Lemon Cotton Candy Sunset - Richard Edwards
- 2018: Heaven - Dilly Dally 
- 2018: Marlin Fisher - Henry Chadwick